Peltier Baseball Question

pedidoll

I have been sorting peltiers ,,mostly rainbos,,,and I have the "baseballs" with them,,,I have noticed I have a light pink based one,,,a light lavender based one,,and a light blue based one....what other base colors are there besides the white?

What do you count as baseballs?

I remember a day when one definition required four blue ribbons ... and I think required them to be connected into two rings, but I can't remember for sure. I just made sure mine were connected to be safe. :)

post-279-1189028976.jpg

And then elsewhere other people called 'em baseballs with other colors than blue, and I don't think everyone was worried about 'em being neatly aligned.

I didn't know the ribbons were supposed to be blue,,I thought it was the construction ...the thin ribbons on white base that made it a baseball...but I am wrong a lot...anyway...I have some that are not on a white base...so maybe they are not baseballs.

I truly don't know. I've definitely seen it more than one way. Just don't know how wide a net the various definitions would cover.

Maybe someone who actually used the term "baseballs" for their marbles back in the day will weigh in.

We called the thin lined white based Pelts Baseballs. I do not remember the color of the stripes making a difference. I think we also called any swirl an Alley. My favorite marble was the Marble King bumble bee. My shooters were always bumble bees for good luck.

We called the thin lined white based Pelts Baseballs. I do not remember the color of the stripes making a difference.

FWIW, this is the definition I've always used. Never thought about a base color other than white, though. But I'd certainly be willing to entertain the notion. I have a few, Darla, that sounds like yours = a light lavender with very thin red lines, a pale green -- don't remember the line color -- a light yellow with red lines, etc.

Curious to see what others think.

Darla, where the actual adopted term for the pelt "Baseballs"came from, i have (no idea) where that term orginated from but was adopted well in the marble collecting community. As an orginal description for a family type it fits well, just like the seams on a real baseball. How they are constructed is where it may lie in this family type. Now for your orginal post on the light (pastel) like bases is well founded and worth a few comments. YES, there are many (lighter) versions of the base than just the white opaquish one. What happened in this process to get these types, who really knows (unless they worked that day of production) of where these lighter base versions came from. Many opinions and many conjectures to this. I have seen the pastel versions you have mentioned and MORE!! Just think Darla (HOW PRETTY) a baseball pelt would be with the pink base and black rainbo ribbons??? Chuck G--

post-2867-0-84737300-1422388752_thumb.jp

Baseballs are white so...

I know, that's what has got me stuck . . . maybe "pastel baseballs?" Because they have the structure of baseballs, but lack the varied coloring of most rainbos . . .

For instance, in my Pelt "pastel baseball" corral, I don't include those with a variegated base, like Chuck's next-to-last one in the right corner. I include only those with a base glass of a single solid color. Depending on the ribbon color, they can be pretty striking -- like the light lavender and red.

But I have a few of those I don't know what to do with though, because the base color isn't really what most people would consider pastel. One is the exact color of tomato juice and another is the exact color of Dijon mustard, both with very thin white baseball lines.

What's that about??

I love Pelts . . .

:thup: both to the joke and to Ed's photo.

'Run, Forest, run!' also cracked me up. :lol:

There's one important question that should probably

be asked and answered here, just for the record.

Did Peltier actually market any of their marbles using the 'Baseball' name?

Or are we talking about marble community terminology?

In the latter case, we're dealing with semantics.

So it's really just a case of 'if you think it's a baseball, it is.'

Although in practice, what most people probably want to know is what

definition is generally agreed upon by knowledgeable marble people.

I'm not one of those people, but my vote is for white base with distinct

simple one-color stripes in the appropriate baseball pattern.

Here's a favorite old photo of mine, where I'm being pretty 'loose' with my

baseball definition. The marble in front at least has a perfect baseball pattern,

and I think the effect of having a two-tone base is pretty cool-looking.

P1020619.jpg