Original Surface?

I don't really have any experience with this sort of thing.

But my gut reaction is that the marble seems to have a good number of bubbles close to the surface.

So I'd guess that there would be things that look like blow-holes if any significant polishing was done. ( :

Remelts do not necessarily have that crazed like surface. They can have a surface nearly identical to an original surface if the person remelting uses wood rounding blocks similar to what was used originally. and if they punty on the original "pontil" mark and polish afterwords in the same style as originally used. They can be nearly indistinguishable other than some small bubble lines and an uneven or "wobbly" look to the "pattern" of what the original would have looked like

As lstmmrbles said, remelts are difficult to identify in many instances, but you usually do see the tiny air bubbles under the surface at the spots were original damage existed, and you see the pattern of concentric rings around the marble. The other thing to look for is certain pattern around the bottom pontil where the glass was feathered when creating the pontil. I had two remelts come in over the weekend in a consignment and I'll image the pontil of one later and post it.

Remelts do not necessarily have that crazed like surface. They can have a surface nearly identical to an original surface if the person remelting uses wood rounding blocks similar to what was used originally. and if they punty on the original "pontil" mark and polish afterwords in the same style as originally used. They can be nearly indistinguishable other than some small bubble lines and an uneven or "wobbly" look to the "pattern" of what the original would have looked like

Do you have an example of such very good remelts? As I mostly buy marbles without seeing them in person, I would like to see what they look like, so I can learn from it, and others too.

Do you have an example of such very good remelts? As I mostly buy marbles without seeing them in person, I would like to see what they look like, so I can learn from it, and others too.

Here's one that's almost certainly remelted, with an engraved (recessed) pontil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-Large-German-Onionskin-Marble-2-053-Mint-/111673704390

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

• 2 weeks later...