The Online Cairo Guide

Columbusrockhound

After a few discussions, David Tamulevich and I collaborated to get a pictorial guide to Cairo Novelty marbles online via-the West Virginia Marble Collector's Club web site. David's Archaeological finds, packaging and cross referencing collections have resulted in a knowledge base on the matter, second to none.

Enjoy.

http://westvirginiamarblecollectorsclub.com/identification/?cat=17&pg=1

Very little Cairo Novelty packaging. They packaged in mesh bags with Woolworths header. None which has ever been found yet. They had a box set with a picture of a camel and the Pyramids on it. Two or three of these box sets have been found. They had marbles in a boxed game called Trap the Fox. No complete box set has been found. The lid of Trap the Fox game was found in the rafters of the building after it collapsed. Gropper packaged Cairo Novelty marbles in mesh bags.

post-91-0-71976000-1432228881_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-44416000-1432228904_thumb.jpg

I could post lots of Cairo marble pictures. I posted 28 today on another site. But here i am limited to two thumb nails per post without using a seperate photo service and more time and work.

Ron (or anyone else who might know), did Cairo make any opaque-white-based marbles with transparent green ribbons accompanied by oxblood horsehair (or slightly thicker)? I have a couple of that type with patterns that resemble those of the Cairos that have a kind of "shepherd's hook" ribbon on them . . .

On another note, could you post, say, your favorite five of the Cairos you posted elsewhere?

The Cairo marble above on the right side edge is striped with a light blue/gray and narrow line of brown on the edge. I have no Cairo Novelty with oxblood. I do not know if i have ever seen a Cairo Novelty with what i would label oxblood. Many or most of the later years St.Marys Alleys have the similar traits and C or S or hairpin hook pattern as Cairo Novelty. Alley did make marbles at St.Marys with oxblood,some horsehair and some wider. Many of those were white base and green.

This State Winners Bag has St.Marys Alleys and many are green with narrow or horsehair oxblood. Some of these the green is very transparent and some the green is more opaque.

post-91-0-07288800-1432358012_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-08078400-1432358106_thumb.jpg