Calling All Cat's-Eyes

ann

That's definitely sad and exciting at the same time.

Sad to think of what may have made it to the dump but exciting with the stuff that was just found in Southern California! Imagine what else could be found. ^_^

5/8"

post-78-0-73687700-1437220044_thumb.jpg

Jessica, those are just a few of the neat looking catseyes i have. I have saved the odd and different ones for years now and have some very strange ones. The more i collect the more information is out there even on these catseyes a lot of collectors overlook. One day in the future i do hope someone does a nice book on catseyes and share photos and information on some really killer (kitties). The tower display is a special thing made my our great friend Bruce Lockhart who has left us a few years ago and he also made me a special pocket wood box also, fits into your shirt pocket real well. He was a special friend to me. I like taking photos with a group of marbles like the photo i posted but have a few problems with focusing on the whole bunch at once. There are a few catseyes that can bring a few bucks if you can find them. Chuck G--

Here's a boring six vane Asian cat:

BoringCatEyeA-1.jpg

I sold it once on ebay. The person looked at all the pics I showed and wanted it enough to pay over $10 for it. And then when they got it they were peeved that it was just a plain old six vane cat eye. So I got it back. I love it. It's a quick change artist. Turns into a peacock depending on how you look at it.

BoringCatEyeA.jpgFlamboyantCatEyeA.jpg

Nice colors! :)

One of the oddest styles of cat-eye I ever had had six vanes in two colors.

Three vanes of one color followed by three vanes of the second color. I saw them once early in my acquiring/collecting/selling. And of course I sold them. I'm pretty sure the photos I had were lost when our Macintosh crashed.

Anyone have any like that?

A book on Cats would be great! I've started looking through my Cats, but have very little knowledge on them so far. Of course the hybrid ones are easy to pick out and are beautiful! But I've always put any Cats I've received into a coffee container, and now that it's full, I guess I should start sorting and learning them :)

I love the idea of a pocket display box Chuck, it seems like only the select special mibs would go in there.

A book on Cats would be great! I've started looking through my Cats, but have very little knowledge on them so far. Of course the hybrid ones are easy to pick out and are beautiful! But I've always put any Cats I've received into a coffee container, and now that it's full, I guess I should start sorting and learning them :)

The old book on cats is still a good place to start -- especially helps to sort out different early Japanese types. Marlow Peterson & Larry Castle's Guide to Cat's-eye Marbles. Can still find it on Amazon every now and then.

Ugh, my picture taking skills took two steps backwards -- lol -- that's a white t-shirt in the background. But the marble colors looks okay so I'm posting anyway!

Blue-based Vitros

Two with yellow ribbons, one with white, one with blue. Pretty sure I've also seen one with red.

gallery_279_377_17150.jpg

Interesting. Those look like they should glow under UV .... do they?

On the blue ones I like how the vane color makes the shade of the blue base look different -- especially the one with blue vanes which looks so dark. But as far as I can tell it's the same shade base for all.