1929-07-31 -- Peltier (Gropper) Canaries

Which marbles were the Canaries?

Examples of Canaries or any of the other marbles on the list would be nice. Seen many of them separately in many threads. Could be fun to bring them all together.

post-279-0-92613400-1439338551.jpg

post-279-0-92613400-1439338551_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had never seen the above document, and hadn't heard of the canaries before, but I suspect they may have been yellow tinged milkies as in the box above...

I have long wondered what the opal agates are, and I am still not sure.

I wonder if canaries are related to those yellow almost-pincher-like Pelt marbles that I believe Art Jones called "smileys?" When he ran into a trove of them he made up a few small boxes of them (with a bag). He was generous enough to send me a box that he initially had kept for himself, but it doesn't have the made-up label on it. They are a real oddity. Pretty sure somebody here has to have a pic . . . I think he told me he sold them in Ottowa?

Steph: American Machine-Made Marbles describes Canaries as one-color translucent Peltier marbles - "The National Milkie is similar to the Akro Agate Moonie, and the Canary is similar but has a slight greenish tint."

A yellowish tint would make more sense to me but they got that info someplace - ??

Nancy

The smiley's are canary yellow in color but are not hand gathered. So i think that would disqualify them. Is it possible that marbles in the Opal agate box are actually canaries? Interesting marble mystery indeed.

Here's a side by side of some of the old boxes just for fun. It would be mind blowing if someone shows up with an original canary agate box. Steph, the marble that you own that you believe could be an opal agate....is it visibly hand gathered and opalescent? Also, whats the background story on the balance sheet if you don't mind me asking. Just curious.

Old-Peltier_zpsvegi0njz.webp

I wasn't making the hand-gathered assumption for canaries, since by 1929 machine-mades were rolling out . . . but if it's only hand-gathered marbles we're talking about then I'd say it's likely that Steph haz a canary!

Wait.

On the document they distinguish between materials for opal agates and materials for canaries -- and in the bulk marbles they make the same distinction. So are they talking about two different things? Are we wrong to assume those yellowish-milkies in the Opal Agate box are canaries? Or wrong to assume they're (also) opal agates?

Milkie, canary, and opal are the ones we're uncertain about now, right? With a leaning toward the canaries being . . . well, like those yellowish ones in the opal agate box?

And . . . back in the day, the term opal was used to mean translucent -- but it did not mean the fiery orange backglow we mean by the term today. Just noting it. Having Hellmers' batch book right here . . .

I've said on numerous occasions that I believe the Peltier milkies are a translucent soft opalescent marble that glows orangey when backlit, with internal threads, similar to the Acme Realers, but without a patch.

I think the canaries are like milkies with a soft yellow tint, like the marbles in the opal agates box in post #2, and that opal agates are likely different.

I've said on numerous occasions that I believe the Peltier milkies are a translucent soft opalescent marble that glows orangey when backlit, with internal threads, similar to the Acme Realers, but without a patch.

So the milkies might be Peltier's version of the moonie? I like thinking of it as an Acme Realer without a patch. That would make a pretty marble.

And Opal Agates could be . . .

Where's Hansel? Does he have some informative boxes, do you suppose? That would be nice to see . . .

Yes, milkies are Peltier's version of moonies. Whatever the opal agates are, they most likely have an opalescent base, like the milkies and the prima agates.

Hansel may have a box and not realize they are Peltiers.