Maybe Off-Topic, But Glass And Lutz

J_Ding

I'm going to post this bead for opinions, in spite of the fact that, strictly speaking I shouldn't because it's not a mib. So apologies, but I find it interesting, and marble-like in some ways. I found this one, 0.63", in a terrific jar...just falling out with some other great mibs. The red looks very oxblood-like under the scope (don't care if it is or isn't) and I think this is Lutz. Wondering if/how to tell if this is, as I assume, copper lutz, or dare I think it, gold. The ribbon of lutz travels around the glass, the base glass opaque, and the pin-wheel on the bottom pole and all the red (ox) roses and colored splotches sure reminds me of 19th century hand-mades. Anyway, forgive my post, but I would like the opinion and impressions of glass people, and if no opinion, just wanted to share. Maybe someone here has seen such a thing? Thanks. John

post-3757-0-14227200-1442012378_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-93753000-1442012381_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-21066800-1442012385_thumb.jp

Hah! It's an admirable quality that you're so polite, but I hope you weren't overly concerned.

You could have posted this 'blatantly off-topic' :P message in 'The Lounge', and I'm pretty sure

that Steph would have added a 'move into general' along with the 'neato!'.

Great glass! Maybe the non-sparkly piece on top is gold? dunno.gif

I like it!

And confirm that "gold lutz" is "gold" aventurine, or "goldstone," a precipitate of copper. No real gold involved at all. (Real gold has been used as a colorant, but in the right quantities it produces red, not anything metallic looking.)

I like it!

And confirm that "gold lutz" is "gold" aventurine, or "goldstone," a precipitate of copper. No real gold involved at all. (Real gold has been used as a colorant, but in the right quantities it produces red, not anything metallic looking.)

Well, copper for most lutz is how I understand it! Thanks! John