Marble High Speed Train

YellowMarble

Oh, how cool! And the sequences in the dark - really great stuff. I need to get also some those glowing balls.

I figure out a speed of roughly 1 meter per second just before reaching the bells. Would you tell us the slope you have used (millimeter of height per meter of length)?

That is in line with my assumptions and findings. The glas marbles are nonhomogenous and so loose energy (speed). The steel balls are nearly perfect spheres and so they gain more energy from the same height difference. And with the bigger diameter the geometry changes dramatically - reducing the maximum speed for a certain radius. I think that it is not really speed but the diameter. Just take a piece of paper a ruler and a compass (zirkel = de passer) and do a drawing of both geometris in a certain scale 1:1 or so.You will easily see that with the bigger diameter the angle of the sphere to rail contacts is smaller. This smaller angle has less lateral support than with the smaller diameter. It is exactly as with a banked curve (= to hoog bocht?). Less banking means less speed until things get critical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is awesome.

That is in line with my assumptions and findings. The glas marbles are nonhomogenous and so loose energy (speed). The steel balls are nearly perfect spheres and so they gain more energy from the same height difference. And with the bigger diameter the geometry changes dramatically - reducing the maximum speed for a certain radius. I think that it is not really speed but the diameter. Just take a piece of paper a ruler and a compass (zirkel = de passer) and do a drawing of both geometris in a certain scale 1:1 or so.You will easily see that with the bigger diameter the angle of the sphere to rail contacts is smaller. This smaller angle has less lateral support than with the smaller diameter. It is exactly as with a banked curve (= to hoog bocht?). Less banking means less speed until things get critical.

I dont think it has to do with how spherical they are so much as the weight. I agree that banking is needed but i see how it could be difficult with that track.