Mostly Pix - Kokomo

Steph

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Ric said:

IWhy is the second marble in Mon's post not a Peltier Copperhead variant? Have they been reclassified as Kokomo?

DSC08585_zpsdgn87afu.jpg

The one on the right?  I also sit and wait for enlightenment.  Since I have one in my Pelt box.

Ric, in your group shot, the big one in the center...does it look like this?  This one's about 11/16" in with my pelt NLRs.  Chuck G. called it a Ruby Dragon.  Sorry for the crappy pics... they are old and from a cell phone.

7f73b56b-1e0a-4a70-a3c3-4241bf7861ad.jpg

IMAG0826.jpg
IMAG0823.jpg

I noticed that one in your Pelt group too - it sticks out like a sore thumb.  I sorta wanted to say something, but I don't like to rub anyone's fur the wrong way. The one in my pic is a transparent green base with white and red striping - Guy used to call them transparent christmas trees. I am about 95% sure it's Kokomo, based on dug cullet and marbles, and without seeing some dug or bagged examples from Peltier, I would put yours right next to it. Back in the day, before much was known about Kokomo marbles, a lot of the nicer (and rarer) ones were attributed to Peltier, and I can pretty much guarantee that some of them are still in Pelt collections.

Having said that, I rarely see Peltiers categorized as Kokomos - most of them are just way too nice and don't fit well in a group of Kokomos. The vast majority of Kokomos can be described as "interesting", "odd" or "cool", but if most people would call it "pretty", the likelihood of it being Kokomo is slim - not that they didn't make any pretty marbles, they just didn't make many of them.

Huh.  I'll give it more thought. Do you have cullet like it? Don't worry about "rubbing my fur the wrong way", I am more interested in the correct ID of a marble than the need to be right. :D

I do not own any Kokomo cullet. I was just lucky enough to poke through big bunches at a few Kokomo shows several years ago with a guy who dug it. I know where the bulk of it wound up though, and have seen samples several times since. Do you know of other Peltiers with that grape red color? And how common is that sort of half-and-half structure on Pelts?

It's hard for me to see the true colors in your pics, I think. It looks more green than Jeeper's to me, but if the colors and glass in your marble look like Jeeper's, I'd go with Peltier, because I am confident his is one.

Chuck called mine a Ruby Dragon.  I found yours while searching the name.  Here are 3 more pics of mine.  I can't seem to get a 100% pure representation of the color for some reason, even after messing with the white balance and ISO.  It's half a shade bluer in the pics than it really is.

DSCN1634.jpg
DSCN1635.jpg

DSCN1632_1.jpg