Word Of The Day ... Or Week Or Whatever

Steph

I am a little bit puzzled on how to read this table. Okay, the left column "miffed" I understand partly and I am wondering how "wing nut" or "crepes" (french: crêpes - something yummy) is meant. But the most astounding word in the column "I'm not having it" (what does this mean here?) is "Fahrvergnügen". I found some hints to a VW commercial. Does it originate from there??

"Bolshevik" - how old is the shown page roughly? 1960?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "miffed" column would be if you were only a little annoyed.

"Exasperated" would be for the very annoyed.

"I'm not having it" would mean you may be fired up enough to do something about the annoyance.

Pretty sure  "Fahrvergnügen" is a joke.  A little bit of non sequitur to add to the silliness.  Yes, from the VW commercial -- which may have been most Americans' introduction to German or German-sounding words.  

I guess "crepes" is a variation on "cripes" ... which is a euphemism for "Christ".  

Not sure about "wing nut" ... I think that's a way to insult someone, rather than an expletive.

How old?  LOL.  Not very.  I'd guess a couple of years.  Just made to look like it's older.  

• 6 months later...

Hoody, do you know Snap, Crackle and Pop ... both an iconic phrase and three iconic cartoon characters associated with Rice Krispies cereal?

I thought of them and what a part they were of my culture growing up ... the kind of thing "everybody know" ...  and I wondered about other countries having that kind of silly stuff becoming household phrases.   So I thought I'd try to ask you about it.

Even though I haven't quite figured out how to phrase my question ..... 

You mean that Kellogg's stuff?

Here in Germany they sell as "Rice Crispies" :) but I never had any thought of the characters' names. Long long ago. But I can not remember 'Snap Crackle and Pop' got something like a household phrase. To be honest, I just consum the contents and scrap the package without much notice. There was also some kind around they called "Choco Pops".

But if you are in Germany and ask for diapers (= Windeln) there might be people around that ask back what a diaper is. Just tell them "Pampers" and everything is fine. That is something I think got a household phrase - long ago.

Or "Maggi" (http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=35213&page=67&p=2841403&viewfull=1#post2841403 maggi.jpg)

Nobody calls it 'liquid seasoning' here, way too long. Every child knows "Maggi" and that's it - even if you take the competitor stuff.

Hope I got your question right. Otherwise I need to tell "42" ;)

Oh, just this: Maybe you know Nick Kamen "I promise myself"?

Some germans always sing "Pommes mit Senf" [= "french fries with mustard"] because of this phonetic similarity :music-rocker-001:!

• 9 months later...