Learn Something New Every Day-Ish

Steph

Two responses to two recent posts.

Although I'm completely in agreement with Galen in an overall sense,
there can be occasional aberrations with long term averages of observed phenomena.
I don't know what the heck's going on lately, but anyone who's been anywhere
near me this past week would definitely confirm that I'm not being 'proportional'.  :blush:

: + D + O + 90 degree clockwise rotation = Soup!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Got interested in this subject a long time ago as it id very interesting Tons of articles on that subject but they all seem to lack any quoted scientific proof,, most are from a 1954 article and a lot of other assumtion  and none give specific times.  We do hange most of our molecules etc but I am of the not all gets changed group.  

Neil Pakenham-Walsh says:

Richard Dawkins, in the God Delusion, wrote (as I remember) that every single one of the atoms in our body is replaced every 9 years. None of the matter that is in our bodies today was there 9 years ago. He attributed this to Bill Bryson, ‘Brief History of Everything’.

I checked out Bill Bryson, and he said this: ‘It has been suggested that there isn’t a single bit of any of us – not so much as a stray molecule – that was part of us 9 nears ago.’ Bill Bryson, Short History of Nearly Everything, p331. Bill Bryson attributed this to David Bodanis, another popular science writer.

I checked out David Bodanis, and he said this: ‘Every nine years or so almost every single molecule that makes you has gone, either floated away or poured out.’ (The Secret Family, p89-90). Bodanis does not give a source/reference of any kind for this assertion.

Is anyone aware of any *scientific* reference (rather than hearsay) to back up the assertion that our body is, in effect, replaced every 9 years?

I asked this question on Bill Bryson’s forum – no answer. I’ll try ‘the horse’s mouth’ – David Bodanis – and will let you know if I hear from him….

• 2 months later...

Cricket matches last for days.  Up to five days.  With special rules for taking breaks for lunch, tea and drinks.  

My experience with cricket is watching a few seconds at a time in British television shows.  So I was amazed today to learn this. 

:thup: Don't know how I missed that bit of information all these years.  Cricket is such a famous sport ... and yet I didn't even know that.  My brother's  family moved to England last year, which is why I know now.  

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

In New Zealand, if it's coming to the end of their summer and a dad says he's buying stationery for his kids ... that doesn't mean he's sending them away and buying pretty paper and envelopes for them to write home with.

Over there, at back to school time, "stationery" is a word for school supplies.  

I was confused for a moment, but then I remembered that in our part of the world "stationer" used to be the name for an office supply store.  About a hundred years ago.   The Rosenthals (who gave us Rosenthal boxes of marbles and who Berry Pink worked for before starting out on his own) -- they specialized in rubber items, including erasers -- so one could sometimes read about them in stationer trade publications. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=TmBYAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA20-PA8#v=onepage&q=rosenthal&f=false

I hoped you might weigh in on this one.  I wondered if that was the case.    My NZ friend uses a lot of other UK words so I suspected you might share this word also.  

Our usage is very specialized.  

https://www.americanstationery.com

https://www.papersource.com/stationery/other-stationery-set/all.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally found out why everyone in Mayberry on the Andy Griffith show was so happy. no one was married except for Otis and he stayed drunk all of the time

• 3 months later...

Just watched an old Doctor Who episode with the captions turned on.  And the captions said the Doctor was whistling the Colonel Bogey March.  I never knew what that was called. In grade school we had our own words to it which involved the Comet cleanser making your teeth turn green.