Master Marble Sunburst

JerryG

I'm spreading the love. I've already posted this on Land of Marbles and All About Marbles, but a few more eyes can't hurt.

So... I've been reading Bob Block's ID book and researching online and everyone says that Sunbursts have a clear base with filaments and strands of color running pole to pole. Every one in my Master Marble box seems to meet this definition (shine a flashlight through them), except these three. All three either have an opaque base or the filaments and strands are so packed that it appears opaque. Are these Sunbursts and if not what?

MMSunbursts.jpg

Master started out with very clear-cut styles.

After a few years, their styles blurred. I'd probably put them all in the "Sunburst" category ... while the purist part of me recognizes that they're very different from the Sunburst marble which was introduced in 1930.

Oh ... I just reread your post. I guess you might want to put them in with Comets since they present as opaque. But I still feel awkward about that. The lower left one might be a flat-out Comet. But would the others have come in a Comet box? I don't know.

After the early set of names (Sunburst, Comet, Meteor, Cloudy, Clearie), other styles came out ... and what did Master call them in their official company paperwork? For example, what did Master call their brushed patches? I don't know.

MasterFlyer1b.jpg

Thanks Steph. I've come the conclusion that the bottom left is probably a Comet or Meteor. To me it looks like green opaque base and wispy translucent red patch. The other two don't photograph well, but under a bright flashlight they really look like onionskins. The bottom right one in particulary has multi-colored strands running around the 306 degrees of the marble. The top right also has strands around the whole marble, but except for the surface colors are kind of mono-color. I'll play around with lights and see if I can get some better photos.