Those Big Dug Akros...

mon

don't seem to have much of a following(besides the JR's that don't do much for me..esp for the $800 price...geez). Why? Was there lots of them found? Seems like the corks do a little better than the patches but I think those patch types are really nice.

usually the price is because of hype surrounding the marble. put a name on it ..... set your price .... and of course, your own personal preferance. i've bit several times .. :D ... and probably will again. especially if i have a connection to where the marble came from. but ... lol .. not for that $800. .... it would take 2 for that ... bill

Yeah, don't get me wrong....they are REALLY nice (do you mind asking how you have SO many?) but $800 is still a lump even with the rarity.

I really was talking about those 1" plus patches and corks. Wan't sure if there was lots found or what the story is behind them but they come up rarely and don't sell for very much at all.

Yeah, don't get me wrong....they are REALLY nice (do you mind asking how you have SO many?) but $800 is still a lump even with the rarity.

I really was talking about those 1" plus patches and corks. Wan't sure if there was lots found or what the story is behind them but they come up rarely and don't sell for very much at all.

I like them.

All of the above are the >1" dia. patches. (Note the quarter for scale). I bought 90% of them from Roger Hardy back when they were available at New Philly.

All of the experimental patches that come up for sale for reasonable amounts - I buy. The big experimental corks rarely come up for sale. A certain seller tried to sell one for $600. for years - with no apparent takers. There are ~24 of the corks known and the quantity of the >1" patches in the quantity noted in my first post.

The comparative rarity of both types is very, very, very low compared to everything else that Akro made. There a very few of other large types that Akro made that are also fairly rare.

I have 1 of the Claudia Patches at 1 1/8th

Bought it from Bill Bass at one of the marble shows (Madison, Decatur?)

It was very reasonable.

I also have a Orange and Blue Corkscrew at 63/64 on the largest side (out of round like most of these bigger Akro's are.)

Nice marbles nice to have in the collection.

Ron

It's been awhile and I need to correct the sizes...most are in the .900" up to 1.200". Here is a sample of what I'm referring to......was a lot of these types found? Not sure if the first 2 would be called popeye patches but all they needed was a spin(yes, there is some clear glass). I see them once in awhile on the bay and not bringing much $$ ! Sorry for the LARGE PICS!

dg%20ak5_zpsqo5samfv.jpg

dg%20ak3_zpsiwi0zyex.jpg

dg%20ak2_zpsc96kwdht.jpg

dg%20ak_zpsttoz6r4y.jpg

I have seen all of those dug. Most were .75" dia. or larger, but usually less than 1". The first pic - that type was in the late digs < a year before digging was halted (not referring to the contracted dig). The yellow is that type is much more often subsurface and twisting through the marble. Same type as this one:

IMG_8374.jpg

The challenge is that most people don't know what they are - and a lot of folks are "book collectors" (they don't buy types not clearly illustrated and described in books - or something with a catchy, stylish Internet nickname).

The 2nd one is usually seen dug in smaller sizes.

The 3rd one was part of the late digs. I think they are pretty nice looking pieces. A lot of pattern there.

The 4th was a standard production type - probably discarded due to the cold rolls.

But all these marbles are beautiful! ( :

I think so too! Alan, or anyone, was there a lot of these found? Also, I think you'e correct on the size even being smaller, 3/4" or so. I found a tray that I had separated the small size out. Although the reasons stated are probably true...I'm just confused on how nice they are...how big they are..and not a lot of desire from collectors. oh well...thanks