Single Pontil Onions?

In terms of rarety % wise, where do these single pontil Onions sit?

If these types came off every cane, why do we not see more?

Were the start and end of canes discarded in most cases?, if so, why were certain marbles of this type kept?, maybe the glass maker took them home for his kids, this one has a lovely faceted pontil, someone took great care in the making of this one! post-3637-0-31451700-1452271483_thumb.jppost-3637-0-82054200-1452271498_thumb.jppost-3637-0-89291900-1452271534_thumb.jp

Its an End of Cane. From a manufacturing perspective - end of canes should be discarded because it didn't meet the desired design quality standard. That is how we got all of those cane fragments out of Lauscha a decade-plus ago.

IMG_8596.jpg

IMG_8593.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

Hi, yep I get that, is it possible that these types were "The final" marble from this colour combo, I don't think I've seen a handmade finished as well as this one?, it turned up with a group of micas 7/8", all with really nice single faceted pontils?

Maybe from a single pontil solitaire set?

Hi, yep I get that, is it possible that these types were "The final" marble from this colour combo, I don't think I've seen a handmade finished as well as this one?, it turned up with a group of micas 7/8", all with really nice single faceted pontils?

Maybe from a single pontil solitaire set?

I don't know what you mean by "a single pontil solitaire set". You seem to be using that term to imply that the piece in the OP wasn't cane-cut.

Were the start and end of canes discarded in most cases?, if so, why were certain marbles of this type kept?,

I think it all depends on how well the 'attempt' went. Surely there was some type of quality control so if the first-off cane looked half decent and was reasonably round they would take the time to grind the pontil and finish it off. If it was terribly out of round or had debris/scorch mark etc it would get junked.