What's In A (Pelt) Name?

ann

Just got this in my marble mail last night. The seller called it a "Bloody Mary" but I don't know what a Bloody Mary looks like. It's not the first thing that would jump into my mind on first seeing this marble.

Anybody describe a Bloody Mary for me?

post-2163-0-14063600-1453490842_thumb.jp

Ann, there is a lot of some great conversations on this family type of pelts. The "Tracer" type marbles came from our great friend in Ottawa, Gino Biffany who has left us. His name for this family type came thru his work at the phone company apparently from tracer wiring he worked with. He thought this would be a great name for pelts which had the second color along side the ribbons. He gets the credit for the "Tracer" type pelt marbles and i think most collectors accept this. O k,

"Bloodie Mary"-a translucent/opaquish white base with transparent red ribbons, could be four to six ribbons and some may have av. also may have a swirl look to them

This is my opinion and some may disagree. I look for lots of different types of the "Tracers", they are very nice. Chuck G--

I was just reading through Steph's study hall on Pelt, trying to find a name for one of my mibs, and came across at least two Bloody Mary Tracers, both had yellow, and one had an apology for the yellow being washed out in the photo. If that helps :)

Beautiful marble by the way, I can see why you're attracted to them. ;)

Is it really yellow or, like with some red slags, is it the depth of the white below the transparent red?

Well, Al, turns out you asked the Question of the Week!

Once I got out the loupe and scrutinized the yellow parts of the marble carefully . . . I had to conclude that there is no yellow, really -- it only appears yellow due to the exact and particular depth of the white beneath the transparent red.

Scurrying off to Steph's Study Hall to see the other ones . . .

Tracers are a four ribboned marble for the most part and have the white "tracers" following at least three of the color ribbons but usually all four. Bloody Marys have a very robust red look to them, in the picture Al posted of Pee Wees(Steve) all look to be Bloody Marys to me except maybe one. Ann's marble looks to be weak in color(no offense) when compared to the marbles in Steve's picture. Without having the marble I'm guessing no.

Charles

. . . Ann's marble looks to be weak in color(no offense) when compared to the marbles in Steve's picture . . .

No offense at all! I don't mind having a new Rainbo I like that's sort of a mongrel tracer . . . and now I know two things I didn't know before. I like it when that happens!