Oh my, Pelt clear glass Rainbos

winnie

Got this yesterday in the mail,I was totally madly in love with them.

If it's possible,I want to know more about them,such as:do they excist in other colors--wat's the time periode.

I'm surprised there is so little known about these beauties,not on the internet or the forums,

at least I've not seen it.

1.pelt-cl.gl%20Small_zps6ahtn4hv.jpg

clear-glass%20Small_zps8eqzjxmo.jpg

20 hours ago, moremarbles4me said:

All of the marbles in the picture are called Clear Rainbos except possibley the one in the middle. A fruit cocktail is a totally different marble, construction wise. If you go to Mibbage you will find pictures of both marble types.

Charles

Here's a pic- of the middle one,it has also a clear glass base,but is it not called a clear Rainbo?

Are these Rainbo's made about the end of the production periode?

2.cl.pelt%20Small_zps7vef9ucf.jpg

Hi Winnie,

Very nice Peltier! These are called clear Rainbos which are a generation later than Fruit Cocktails. Fruit Cocktails were clear based National Line Rainbos circa sometime late 1920'ties to late 30'ties. Clear Rainbos were most likely made after that period.

Sami

questions... the beginning peltiers were made as swirls, god forbid we use the name miller machines, but I will for the sake of the type. so these can't be from that time period. second, the cereal box marbles weren't in cereal boxes in the 1920s and 30's.   they were I believe in the late 40's to 50's. all these marbles shown have the same construction double patched. later in peltier marble productions.

does anyone have information on what marbles the Nivison-weiskopf company made since peltier bought their machines?

When did the name fruit cocktail for those type Winnie shows change? they have been called that for the last 20+ years. still are in my book.

thanks

Ernie

Good to know once and for all that the first Peltier marbles made were what most collectors call swirls. I guess god has forbid me to ask what was specialized with the Miller machine that caused it to make swirls and the other Peltier machines did not. Waiting for the next book to tell me. Maybe then I will change my thoughts ?

I bought Alley Blue Lady marbles and Alley West Virginian's 20 years ago as Christensen just like everyone else. But they are not Christensen today. Not in my book.

Always a pleasure.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, machinemades said:

These are called clear Rainbos which are a generation later than Fruit Cocktails. Fruit Cocktails were clear based National Line Rainbos circa sometime late 1920'ties to late 30'ties. Clear Rainbos were most likely made after that period.

Sami, could you post pictures of the two different types?  I've never seen the difference clearly illustrated.

I've mostly heard "fruit cocktail" used for pretty much all clear Rainbos.  I'd like to get it straight if that's wrong . . .

Thanks, Sami -- once you pointed out those four (plus one) of Bill's as being Fruit Cocktails I could immediately see it -- mainly the thickness and "evenness" of the ribbons.  There are a couple of Winnie's that at first glance I might mistake for Fruit Cocktails (like the lower left in the group shot at the beginning of the thread) but a second look noting # of ribbons (Rainbo structure) would have changed my mind.  It also looks like the Fruit Cocktail ribbons, in addition to being thicker, are pretty much opaque, while clear Rainbo ribbons can be translucent or even transparent, and can vary in color from one edge of the ribbon (or veil) to another.  Is that also generally true?

Got to go reclassify now . . .

Oh -- and nice clear Rainbos, Winnie!

14 hours ago, machinemades said:

Absolutely. Also depth and thickness of the ribbons are different. Fruit cocktails that are shown here are 4 colors versus clear Rainbos are 3 colors, but there are 3 color fruit cocktails also.

Sami,I agree the depth and thickness of the ribbons are different from the fruit cocktail,but the clear Rainbos shown here have at least 4 different colors,red-white -yellow and green and there is some brownish transparancy on the surface.

The others have 3 colors,blue-white and red.

Is it mainly the construction that varied between both Pelt types?

Ann,The colors are opaque on the clear Rainbos,except for the brownish color is in some areas transparant.

Yes Ann. Ribbons on Clear Rainbos are not as strong or opaque as earlier Fruit Cocktails and thin out to different shades. They are also more on the surface while Fruit Cocktail ribbons go deep into the marble. I have to take back 6 ribbon statement Ric brought up though. Fruit Cocktails have only 4 ribbons just like a bumble bee or tiger would have, but all ribbons have different colors. 3 color Cocktails have one same color in two ribbons. 

Sami,we typed the same time but your last post gives me some answers,only thing is the clear Raibos also have 4 ribbons and all ribbons have different colors and there is a fifth color but its a bit transparant and on the surface.,so I think the depth and thickness and the construction is the difference in both types?