Marble innards, let's see your innards

Paul, in an indirect way these photos reminded me of a shot I posted
here years ago that involved some Pelts, an anvil, and a hammer.

It was met with a combination of fascination and downright horror.
I think you may get a similar response from these!

The third shot, in particular, is beautiful.  Humble opinion.
I'd put a poster of that on my wall anytime!  ( :

Thank you.  You might be right, I posted this on a FB group and was met with some horror, thinking I purposely did this to the marble. It in fact came to me this way years ago.  I have kept it as I do all the wounded. I found myself intrigued about the make up of the figure and also how small the figure actually is vs the size in which the curved glass makes it appear.

7 hours ago, Steph said:

I adore marble innards.  More than a marble collector should!  "Innards" is such a cool word. 

I know I'll have something to add to the thread.  And I know others do too.  

Count me in. Great topic.

I've had dyed agates bisected - antique German (red-brown ones) as well as modern.  The dye only penetrates a millimeter or two into the snot colored stone.

Also destroyed an (already damaged) "gutta percha" marble - color is on the surface of a black, dense thermosoftening resin.

And of course, cracked ceramic marbles will reveal the difference between porcelain type and yelloware benningtons or mochaware (decoration on the surface) vs. agateware (colored clays throughout the body of the marble).

Will try to come up with some pics.

My innard isn't as cool as all the above, but you get a story. :)

10+ years ago I purchased this box. Why I bought it, what the seller was trying to accomplish, I don't know. Colors don't match. Bases don't match. But I was young and had lots of money.

RainboBox_JerryG.jpg

When I took it out of storage last November I discovered one of the marbles was broken. Half of the marble had broken into small pieces. What was interesting was the the remaining marble looked like it had been cut in half. No jagged edges. Perfectly flat and clean surface. Don't know what caused it, but *I* think it's pretty cool.

BrokenPelt1_JerryG.jpg BrokenPelt2_JerryG.jpg BrokenPelt3_JerryG.jpg

• Like 1

This really is a fun subject! 

They're all great to see, and I thought the idea of sulphides (and presumably other similar
marbles) having optical properties where 'what you see isn't what you get' was very interesting.
I probably should have considered the possibility of this phenomenon, since I so frequently get
the 'reverse effect' when I take photos where there's reflected 'stuff' on the surface of the marble
which was so far out of the picture that it couldn't possibly be there!  eusa_doh.gif

And it's kind of ironic that most people would consider cut or otherwise broken mibs to be 'worthless',
when they're not only interesting and informative, but for several reasons they're pretty rare by definition.
How many mint Golden Rebels are out there?  And how many of them have been perfectly 'sliced in two'?
It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to say that the '1' marble is kind of 'common' next to the '2/2' one!  ( :