New member from South-East England

ManofKent

Hi.

Richard from a small town in Kent, over in the UK.

I principally joined for the marble run forum, but have spent a few hours reading the other threads and can see me getting sucked in to the collecting side of things at some point! I shall definitely be keeping my eyes open in vintage shops and charity/thrift shops.

The knowledge on here is amazing.

My childhood marble were very much the greenish glass catseyes - presumably imported from Hong Kong. I don't think the UK had any real factories of it's own producing marbles, but I'd love to be pointed in the right direction if I'm wrong.

:wave2:

Wonderful to have you, Richard.  

As far as I know, you're right about there being no UK marble factories.  Not for toy marbles.  But from what I've seen you guys have some nice antique German handmades hiding out there. 

Hello,

Welcome to this forum again!

One tip: I will make a Marble Run at the Eden Project (near Par, Cornwall), it's a little far from Kent, but drivable in one day to meet me in person with a huge marble run.

The event is on 28 and 29 may 2016. When travelling there, you can also visit the House of Marbles which lies in your path.

Greets, Jelle

14 hours ago, Steph said:

:wave2:

Wonderful to have you, Richard.  

As far as I know, you're right about there being no UK marble factories.  Not for toy marbles.  But from what I've seen you guys have some nice antique German handmades hiding out there. 

I think my wife has beaten me to it with the marble collection. She'd dug up what I think is an old German handmade from the garden last year - it's been sitting in a pot outside the back door for months and I hadn't spotted it... I'll try and get a photo tomorrow so that someone can tell me that what I think is a pontil mark is just a chip and I'm looking at something from the 1970's ;) The house is 1890's so it could be reasonably old (alternatively of course it could be much more recent). 

3 hours ago, YellowMarble said:

Hello,

Welcome to this forum again!

One tip: I will make a Marble Run at the Eden Project (near Par, Cornwall), it's a little far from Kent, but drivable in one day to meet me in person with a huge marble run.

The event is on 28 and 29 may 2016. When travelling there, you can also visit the House of Marbles which lies in your path.

Greets, Jelle

Thanks - I can't see me getting down there (I don't drive so it's a good day's travel (and exorbitantly expensive with our rail service)) but good luck with event.

Hoody - thanks for those links. Very impressive. I was a lego builder as a kid, but the Fischer-Technik stuff is wonderful. 

You lot are a bad influence. The postman's going to be getting a bad back in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to have to search out another book or two for my wife to distract her whilst I casually open a few packages. :) There should be a danger sign on the site entrance. I only came here to look at ball runs...

21 hours ago, Shellkat said:

Haha. Me too. Know the feeling. I just bought a black light, and I can't wait to see the glow I'm sure I'll see! And thanks for all your research Manofkent, I'm certainly learning as you do! : )

Thanks to you to - the id thread is a wonderful learning tool.  Ditto on ordering a blacklight :)

• 5 weeks later...
On June 15, 2016 at 0:12 AM, ManofKent said:

I don't get the impression that their are many marble collectors over here - or at least not machine mades, but I may be wrong.

I's a wonderfully friendly site.

The upside is reduced competition.  All those 'in the wild' mibs are yours for the taking!