Magnets and marbles

I know this video which is very awesome! 

I really note that in the last few months, there are lots of marbles and marble run videos become viral (think about Wintergatan music marble machine and Ben Tardiff's Marble Mountain and my own sand marble races). I'm curious how popular would building marble runs and similar contraptions will be in the coming months.

I think it is just a hype. There have been already marble run activities in the web (the so called "rolling ball web") but disappeared from the internet. Other pages are still available but those are rarely spread.

But building runs yourself is so easy to everybody. You just need marbles (or balls) and can use everything you have in the house or garden or ... And you do not worry with the physics behind for the simpler runs.

Speaking of physics, of all the fascinating bits in this run the one which took me the longest to catch, and which I rate up near the top in the design, is where the glass marbles and steelies were set rolling at once then they separated by weight and did their separate jobs.  

Oh, I think there is one effect that requires much more attention: It is the small/bigger pairs of magnetic balls. It is just a matter of 1/10 mm to adjust them so that they *just* do not attract the other pair but when they get a slight push then the magnetic force does the rest. And the most stunning effect then is that after they hit, the impulse is still high enough to tare them apart and push the next steel ball against the magnetic force. This is really fine art and "beyond ingenious". This guy is more than just playing with physics.

• 4 months later...