Super Spotted Dick

orbboy

Had one of these 10+ years ago. Sold for $$$ for a non glass marble. It had a slightly darker base and only 16 spots. This one has I think 22 or 23 (have to figure out a way to count them properly).  The group has some pretty big brown based ones a couple at 1" and a hair. As well as some lumpy Agates. Any one else have one to show?

spotties1234.jpg

spotties123.jpg

spotties12.jpg

spotties.jpg

One question I have always had with Spotted Dicks is are the two colour combos even related? If you look at a white and black one they clearly have a spot of paint or whatever they used. The brown and white ones  are constructed with two different colour clay's  and the white spot are smaller lumps rolled into the brown base. Here is a pic of the white blob sunken into the brown. Thoughts?

spotties1.jpg

I agree with your assessment of their construction. Beyond the fact that they have spots (a pretty simple theme), I would guess they are unrelated - unless in both cases they came in sets with different numbers of spots on them or something, and were used for a similar purpose.