Large handmade "Ebay"

manddrakes

it doesn't appeal to me the way $9K does, but it's all subjective. 

re: pontil, flat spots, condition, etc:  agree that there are a few things that are unusual (making it an unusual marble). 

Some of the later German handmades don't have the same fit & finish on the pontils as the earlier ones. I 'm saying later due to the bold colors.  There aren't too many examples of later ones I've seen in this size

Big marbles like this would be hard to handle and tongs could have been used, unfortunately making indentations or flat spots.  The large size (mass) is also prone to deforming, cold rolls etc.  My understanding is a wooden tool was sometimes used to make it more of a sphere which helps the shape but not the low areas like cold rolls and indentations. 

I've got no skin in this game  so merely my 2 cents for what it's worth

My opinion as a long-term handmade collector and as a person who has cane-cut experience in the studio:

Attributing the colors simply to "it was made later" is a conclusion with no real supporting evidence.  A marble of that size is not "hard to handle".  Its not a marble until it is completely jacked/necked-down and shaped in the cup.  Until then - its just part of a cane - which is easily and completely controlled because it is part of the punty.  Once one has the experience of properly managing the heat in the cane and motion - its simple.  And once it is necked-down enough to be rounded in the cup - there is no need for a metal tool to touch anything but the neck (which ultimately becomes a pontil).  At the right temperature - the  (usually) cherry wood cup (actually steam) will smooth imperfections - almost always imparting it's own unique style of very slight surface texture.

When odd things start showing up in handmades - its good to pause and wonder why.  When multiple odd things are seen in one piece - its good to ask why there are a number of odd things going on that are normally not seen in vintage handmades.

Those who have handled "not right" handmades for years have learned to trust our eyes, experience and instincts.

Thank you all for sharing. This is very educational and it's interesting how there are so many different opinions, which is very helpful for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with handmades. "Like myself included"

Alan, that's some good advice! When odd things start showing up in handmades - it's good to pause and wonder why. When multiple odd things are seen in one piece - its good to ask why there are a number of odd things going on that are normally not seen in vintage handmades. Those who have handled "not right" handmades for years have learned to trust our eyes, experience and instincts.

Thanks for insights Alan.  I'll stick with my opinions/thought process, just as I'm sure you will yours.  That's fine.  No conclusion was reached on my part, just random thoughts for discussion.

However, based on your logic, do you think the other two examples mentioned in this thread are also 'not right'? 

Do you think they were made earlier than my estimate?

Are all marble makers able to handle marbles/canes/tools with the same level of expertise?

Most people( if not all)involved with glass marble production were (are) adults.  And many of the "off" marks just do not appear to be something that would be the result of normal vintage marble making IMO.   If the chicken quacks it is probably a duck

20 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

Most people( if not all)involved with glass marble production were (are) adults.  And many of the "off" marks just do not appear to be something that would be the result of normal vintage marble making IMO.   If the chicken quacks it is probably a duck

I remember there being discussions about children painting and putting the figures in sulphides? I believe the marble is vintage, but has been modified in some way.  

• 3 weeks later...