I said I wouldn't buy any more with no ID, lol...

sprchik

...but there was a huge lot (easily over 1000 I'd say) of un-IDed swirls to sort through that some non-swirl folks were selling at the Indy show, and I couldn't help myself!!! I got lost picking through that box for a good 30-45 min... I'm such a sucker for swirls. 

Here's a group shot. Will be getting pics of individuals for ID in a while, but wanted to get this up to see if there's anything that stands out, that anyone thinks I should focus on first!  Will probably post the individual pics here in this thread, instead of making new posts for every single one, so check back often! 

20180108_162240_zps8quzusox.jpg

I could be wrong to say "coral".

@jeeperman could have been all ready to comment but then had to hold back because he didn't want to hurt my feelings after I got that wrong. 

So, I'd be guessing it's a Ravenswood, and maybe the closest they come to a coral, so we have sometimes called it a coral.    But the ones we most commonly have called corals were thought to be Champion and then they became Alley, and I don't know if the one we called Ravenswood stayed Ravenswood or not.  

3 hours ago, Steph said:

I could be wrong to say "coral".

@jeeperman could have been all ready to comment but then had to hold back because he didn't want to hurt my feelings after I got that wrong. 

So, I'd be guessing it's a Ravenswood, and maybe the closest they come to a coral, so we have sometimes called it a coral.    But the ones we most commonly have called corals were thought to be Champion and then they became Alley, and I don't know if the one we called Ravenswood stayed Ravenswood or not.  

I think they're till Ravenswood :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I finally pulled out a couple of these, mainly because I got a definite Alley Blue Sky yesterday, and wanted to compare these 2 to it...

Definite Blue Sky in the middle, not moving:

20180120_014551_zpsljv3btcw.jpg

I think the one on the right side is definitely a match! 😄

But I'm not sure about the one on the left side? How much variation in color do Blue Skies have?

Oh wow I'm just now noticing that the tops of the marbles are getting cut off in that collage. Didn't even see it while making it. Whoops!!! Obviously bed time! 😂

Also, on the topic of Corals...

Wouldn't those colors on the one I posted above be backwards for a Coral? Aren't Corals green-based, with another color (orangey-pinkish? salmon?) swirled in? 

Example -- this one has been ID'ed as an Alley Coral 

20180118_232710_zpsvlxyn48q.jpg

But the one I posted in the above comment next to the Ravenswoods would be like the reverse of this one pictured here (if the colors even matched, that is! I'd call this one's swirl orange, and the one in the previous comment's base brown)...

So are corals also brown/orange/salmon-BASED, with a green swirl? The reverse/inverse(?) of the one pictured here? 

16 minutes ago, Steph said:

The Ravenswood coral is different.  It's like we call it a coral because it's the closest thing to coral in the Ravenswood family.  Not because it really fits all that well in with the others.  

AaaaAAAAHHHHhhhhh, I see!!! Gotcha. Thanks! 😊

3 hours ago, sprchik said:

20180121_221402_zpsperlogsx.jpg

20180121_222542_zpswfljptra.jpg

On 11/22/2007 at 1:46 PM, Alan said:

With a single exception, my buying of Ravenwood was limited to these two sources - both of which traced back directly to the 1987 crates find (the exception was a very nice group of 20 mint brown-based cobalt blue Ravenwoods that I happened upon in Amana - uniquely Ravenswood due to their color).

The Ravenswoods in my collection are limited to those varieties that were in the 1987 crate find. While they have provenance - they do not represent the full Ravenwood line during their production years. Therefore the photos below do not represent all Ravenswood varieties.

Brown-Based Emerald Green swirls:

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

I have a number of brown-based Ravenswoods where the brown is noticeably lighter - sort of a cafe-au-lait tone and the transparent swirl color sometimes lighter as well. I attribute this to variablity in the production run - not a different variety. The apearance is different though and could cause some uncertainty - so here is a photo to illustrate it. Notice the swirl color differences an each side of the fold:

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

Score! Many thanks to Paul for directing me to that thread!!! Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!!

Looks to be one of those "cafe-au-lait" variants of the Green Ravens!!!

Now, the question is -- are what folks calling "Green Ravens" today a sub-category of those "Brown-Based Emerald Green swirls"? Is the only acceptable "Green Raven" the darker variety of those brown-based emerald green swirls?

Or do these cafe-au-lait variants also count as Green Ravens????

Also, interesting to see in that post -- since we were just talking about Corals!!! I love this thread, check this out!

On 11/22/2007 at 2:36 PM, Alan said:

The next premium type is a Ravenswood version of a Coral. Opaque green base with black and coral swirls on the surface. They usually have good detail lines in the green and nice shading in the coral. Hard to find.

IMG_6055.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

This concludes premium types that I will cover in this writing - although there are a few more that exist.

I have one variation on the Coral described above that has the same opaque light green base as the Coral, but has only one color swirl - a black/dark gray veneer at the surface with no/little transparency. I own only one example of this color combination.

IMG_6065.jpg

6 hours ago, sprchik said:

Next up... (no comments yet on the possible Blue Skies above... still welcome!)

Ravenswood? Green Raven? Coral?

Went ahead and stuck it in between a Green Raven and a Blue Raven. I'm so confused, LOL. 

Looks good for a Ravenswood - I wouldn't worry about the name, they're not Ravenswood names, just collectors grouping.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:52 PM, sprchik said:

Next up... (no comments yet on the possible Blue Skies above... still welcome!)

Ravenswood? Green Raven? Coral?

Went ahead and stuck it in between a Green Raven and a Blue Raven. I'm so confused, LOL. 

20180121_221402_zpsperlogsx.jpg

20180121_222542_zpswfljptra.jpg

The brown base Emerald green Ravenswood is a different type from the light brown, light green Ravenswood.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

The brown base Emerald green Ravenswood is a different type from the light brown, light green Ravenswood.

Aaahh.... ok thanks. Looks like I'm once again confused by outdated (or, un-updated?) information. 

What made you change your mind? Like what was the information you learned in the past 10 years, that makes you now say they are a different type, when before you thought "I attribute this to variablity in the production run - not a different variety."? And where can I find this information, since I obviously wasn't finding it, LOL! 

Thanks! :lol:

Late to the party. Your Blue Sky is in fact a Blue Sky and I'm pretty certain your Coral is an Alley Coral. Transparent base or opaque?

This matched set of Ravens I acquired more than 15 years ago. Fourth and Sixth columns are the most common brown-based Blue and Green swirls. The second column seems to be much harder to find.

RavenSet.jpg

GreenRavenSwirls.jpg