Y'all ever see a Jabo like this?

Mikie_T

Hello all,

I just purchased a marble that the seller called a "Jabo Gold Lutz Explosion". Is that what this is? And does anyone here have one like it?

5a53e76043230_Jabogoldlutz1.jpg.2e2e001fa8069cfa6346d6197ebdaa2d.jpg

5a53e76d644c2_Jabogoldlutz2.jpg.bcf02b0c2fa9bdc9c7db5b03aa324d45.jpg

5a53e77721c2d_Jabogoldlutz3.jpg.ce90372f42133b4b48fe28e45dfc2c66.jpg

Not sure if this is the true name for this marble.... but I LIKE it!!

Mike

Very nice!

Well, here we go, par for the course if I am involved..... I think I know what aventurine is.. (maybe)..... but what is "lutz"..?? 

Is aventurine "caused" while making green glass? Seems those go hand-in-hand.

Mike... (aka, confused as usual)

:blink:

In the past aventurine was sometimes a byproduct of making green glass.  

For the special runs they didn't didn't mix the colors in batches as was done in the past.  They used pre-made specialty art glass.   Some of what they call aventurine is mica in green glass.  So that's a different subject.  

Lutz is the the golden looking part of the glass.  But that's really copper.  The Jabo special runs used it to make oxblood.  And maybe non-mica aventurine is also used to make oxblood ... but I can't remember now.  It's all starting to blur.  

Sometimes I think I know this stuff ... but I always want someone else to come in and proofread my post when we start getting into the technical matters. 

I was involved and present for about 50 or 60 of the special investor runs at Jabo. We used man made aventurine glass. It was purchased as plate glass, some as glass rods and some as chunks by the pound. It was broken up into smaller pieces and added into the main tank in many different places. We bought it in several different colors, blue, green, red, black, brown, etc.  The gold lutz  is man made goldstone. We bought some of it ground some was in rods, but most chunks by the pound. Sometimes two different things or certain glass types and colors were combined to make oxblood. Sometimes goldstone was used to make oxblood. The heart or center of a large chunk of goldstone would usually make lutz. Lutz is a sparking gold usually a stripe or ribbon. The outer portions of the goldstone chunk was used to make oxblood and sometimes it would burn up or disappear completely.  We tried mica several times and different ways without much success. Mica usually caused problems and dark ugly marbles.  We also used 99 % pure silver, some in coin form. Some actual 14K gold was added. Aluminum and other soft lower melting metal were used for metallics. Some worked some did not.  

We added the colors(not aventurine)into the main tank with the base glass at different locations. Those colors came from lots of different sources of cullet, plate glass, man made colored rods, Fenton art glass, etc.  .  We used many different sources of cullet for clear. Some of the clear cullet were empty whiskey and other liquor bottles. I saw more than one dump truck dumped at Jabo to make clear in marbles.  

All the methods and materials used for the Jabo special investor runs could fill a large book. It was a great learning experience for many including first timers, even some who had 20 and 30 years experience in making marbles. We also had several contemporary marble makers help. Like them or not, some pretty marbles were made and  many close friendships were made. Several who had hands in this are now gone but not forgotten. Marble history and many good times plus marbles. 

The silver worked well. The gold did not show much. 

Bobby Newman did the silver in a couple runs. I think one of the marbles with silver was named Silver Fox.  Boyce Lundstrum did the gold in the Peltier Mansion run.  You won't see many if any of the one's with silver or gold for sale.   

On 1/8/2018 at 4:50 PM, Mikie_T said:

Hello all,

I just purchased a marble that the seller called a "Jabo Gold Lutz Explosion". Is that what this is? And does anyone here have one like it?

5a53e76043230_Jabogoldlutz1.jpg.2e2e001fa8069cfa6346d6197ebdaa2d.jpg

5a53e76d644c2_Jabogoldlutz2.jpg.bcf02b0c2fa9bdc9c7db5b03aa324d45.jpg

5a53e77721c2d_Jabogoldlutz3.jpg.ce90372f42133b4b48fe28e45dfc2c66.jpg

Not sure if this is the true name for this marble.... but I LIKE it!!

Mike

Without digging them out, It is likely either Joker II, Ultra, or E.T. Crystal. Me sways to Ultra.