Marble hunting

I'm thinking about going to a bunch of antique shops around this weekend here to do some marble hunting. Anyone here ever have luck with that? This will be my first time actually going out too look for them and possibly buying some. Any suggestions/tips?

Check auction zip.com for auctions in your area. Just enter your zip code and how many miles you want to drive, I enter 50 and the search word marbles. I have had better luck doing this. You would be amazed at some auctions watching people bid over 100.00 for a box of cateyes or other common marbles. But on the other hand you still might find some good ones for  as little as 10.00 a lot. If you go to garage sales always ask if they have any marbles you would be surprised how many people dig them out not putting them in the sale. We buy all our yard and garden tools at auctions rakes ,shovels,  hay forks great for leaves and pine needles 5.00 or less apiece. Happy hunting                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            John

I would agree that it is harder to find marbles at antique stores than it once was.  However, I still have made some good finds at antique stores.  Last year, I purchased an onionskin that was close to 2 inches for $65.  There are still a lot of dealers who don't want to take the time to learn marbles and sell good ones for great prices.  I hope your hunt goes well.

I always ask, every garage sale and antique store or show. The most frustrating responses?

1. I had a large group that sold yesterday.

2. I have some at home, will bring them in next week. And you are passing through town.

I did  find this crazy-cool 3-ribbon snake recently in a lot I bought off Craigslist. Never seen another like it.

There were also 20 nice American-made, mostly AKRO with 5 Popeyes. Plus 33 german swirls, ~1.5" down to peewee onionskins.

DSCN1933.JPG.698ce6582abc40f1cceb1db96b847791.JPG

DSCN1934.JPG.2f0fe6922b1be4255e80799f0c759ea7.JPG

Hate to be the naysayer in the group, but I don't know how many times the owner in an antiques shop told me "I have some in a box in the barn", or upstairs, or in a drawer and would promise to bring them in for me to look at.  I'd go back and suddenly the marbles had disappeared.  I think Greg is right about ebay causing the marbles to dry up.  And yes, if indeed there were marbles in a legitimate shop, they were most likely catseyes or clays with a price tag of $50 and up.

Pretty dry in southern New England and I've been all over the place.  The first destination seems to be eBay and when you do find something by chance it's either beat up or has been priced into orbit using an internet search to guestimate value.  I see jar after jar of cats eyes and 1970-current stuff with the occasional unremarkable overpriced handmade.  Salting jars is also pretty common where you'll see a $20+ jar of junk and one okay marble tossed in to get interest that is usually ruined or modern jabo/torch stuff that looks exotic enough to trick the layperson into thinking it's a gold nugget.

My very best wild finds came from an unmolested collection from a non-collector in the business of building demolition who had huge jars on display in a cabinetry shop.  I begged his wife to let me dig through on the promise that if I found something good I'd alert them so they could sell it.  That turned up a golden rebel and about a dozen popeyes.

I like the hunt. I do understand condition is king but myself as long as their not beaten to a pulp i just like finding ones i dont have.  Its a nice way to get out on the weekend. Drive somewhere new possibly find a marble. Yeah ive heard many many times i just sold them yesterday. I have come to the conclusion its not a true statement but the dealer is trying to imply ... oh yeah i always have everything because  im a top notch dealer

I still like the hunt also. Finding good marbles is like playing the lottery you pay for gas instead of a ticket. My last good find was 2 years ago at a rummage sale I asked if they had any marbles The guy thought a minute said he'd look.  He came back with a rusty coffee can with dirt covered marbles I cleaned a few off some were 3/4 inch popeyes others 5/8 I asked him what he wanted for them he said 10.00 I told him he had some good ones and gave him 50.00 made his day. Had close to 40 popeyes in the can they were dirty but in great shape. What was your best find while hunting mibs.

John

I found another local listing on craigslist looking for old marbles. I sent a picture of a jar of old handcut agates I had out of curiouslty. The response was "AKRO or ALLIE" agates....

after a few text exchanges i was apparently blocked from further contact.

i ran ads on craigslist for years looking for certain collectibles, only had one good marble find in 10 years.