Contemporary

DINDO

There are many choices.

Too many to name and too easy to leave someone off.

I would try to find an artist with marble styles and color combinations that you like and fit your budget.

Prowl through the listings.

If you find something you like, then go to their website and look around.

In all honesty, most of the photos don't do justice to their work.

Go to a marble show, if you can, and look at the tables.

It's like puppy shopping, there will be one that will talk just to you.

Wishing you the best on your new journey!

John

P.S. Don't forget to collect marble artists from the past! They pop up once in a while.

Mark Block's books on Contemporary Marbles is a good snapshot of hot artists from 10 years ago.

Some are still active and still very hot.

There is amazing diversity among artists.  Buy what you love for your own reasons.  Meet the artists and ask about how they made the piece - their work will mean more to you. 

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

4 minutes ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Alan,

Probably the best collage photos ever.

I will mention two oldie-but-goodie names out of your photos:

1) Bill Murray.

2) Mike Edmondson.

Sincerely,

John

I sorely miss Bill Murray in the art.  A great, humble guy and an innovative artist.  I enjoy his work even more than the days that I bought it.

Mike ripped me off for $500 cash - straight and simple theft.  He still owes me that $500 and went through great lengths to avoid my emails, calls and contacts.  I have not forgotten - and will not.  His GF of the time told me what was going on.  People should consider themselves forewarned.  He is the only person in the hobby that ever stole from me.

I bought a lot of contemporary marbles when Del Morgan had his weekly online auctions. Most of the mibs were 1 1/2 to 2 inches and went for 30.00 to 40.00 bucks. Loved the way they looked. bought over a dozen by Fritz alone and about 30 others by various artists.

Alan,

Boy, did I step in it.  I am sorry that I brought that episode up.

That may have been around the time he was making fantasy Guinea boxes from empty beer cases.

I know the charity of a few other people got tapped around that same time.

Can I have a do-over and suggest Gerry Coleman millefiori marbles?

Sincerely,

John

Amazingly juicy collages there.

I had a dangerous contemporary marble moment at a recent show. I was so blown away by the beauty and craftsmanship of them that I spent the bulk of my money on a nice Geoffrey Beetem marble. It has taken me almost the entire time I've been in this hobby to purify my judgement of a marble to simply what my eye likes, rather than anything else I know about it.

My go-to guy is Joe Schlemmer, AKA Madmanmarbles.

http://www.joemarbles.com/1Marble Picture Pages/23Contemporary/Joe Schlemmer/Joe Schlemmer 001/1 Joe Schlemmer Large Pages/Joe Schlemmer 1-01.htm

We met through the boards and joined up, shared travel expenses on a trip to sistersville in 2008 when he was in Atlanta.

We both had a great time, even stopped in the Blenko factory in Milton, WV. 

My wife and I are thinking about doing it again in 2019.

I loved buying Bill Murray's off ebay when he was making glass. My personal fav is Drew Fritt's but he isn't making any marbles at present.

Like Josh Simpson planets as well as Gatson Recko's space mibs.

I enjoy just looking at what's for sale on ebay.

That’s a murrini marble by either Ro Purser or a Noble Effort joint venture by him and his partner Richard Marquis. Each one takes days to produce, but the preparation of the individual canes - the little pictures you see - that make up the marble takes weeks or months. 

A good website to check out a wide range of contemporary artists and learn a lot about them is

http://www.pbase.com/bkbowden/marblesforsale

You can dive deeply into the site and see some amazing collections, too. 

You’re welcome! I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention another excellent site hosted by the fine gent and Marble Connection member Swissmarble:

https://www.glasmurmeln.com/

Ron’s collection and pictures are fabulous (witness the one above,) as is his identification guide for contemporary marble makers. You can scan through there and see a wide range of styles. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 8:31 PM, lstmmrbls said:

I now own an extremely rare 1984 small Noble Effort.  It is like a Holy Grail of Contemporary Marbles IMO

Q9SmCy.jpg

That is a nice find and collection. I also enjoy the Noble Effort ( at least so far  just looking at them)