DINDO

Akro measurements

They use  identifications such No.00.N0.0,No.01 up to 6 i think. What do these represent in measurements? Also were they the only company using this ? Or was it standard?

They do represent measurements.  I think most companies used those measurements.  But for some reason I have been under the impression that one company didn't -- maybe an older company before the measurements were standardized.

This is from an Akro salesman case:  

dImGsP5.jpg

000 is 1/2"

00 is 1/6"

0 is 5/8"

And I just figured out how to remember the rest 1 is 11/16", 2 is 12/16", 4 is 14/16", up to 6 which is 16/16".  

M.F. Christensen went from size 0 to size 10.  I'm not currently seeing confirmation about what that meant in inches.   

From an MFC booklet. 

IG53B45.jpg

Thanks Steph. Your answer is as straight as the kro flies. As always.👍

It looks pretty uniform for all the companies except MFC wich may of had some larger varietys .  I started getting confused as  akro also numbered their box sets. Its also cool the marble companies came up with this numbering system. I suppose then MFC created it.

It is possible that MFC created it.  The one that I thought might have been different --  I think that one may have been from Europe.  So maybe there was a 20th century American standard  and maybe a different one for Europe in the 19th or early 20th century.  This is just a fuzzy half-memory so pretend I didn't say anything about that.  

If MFC went to size 10 that would equate to 1-1/4” (6=1”, 7=1-1/1/16”, 8=1-1/18”, etc.) They definitely made slags those sizes and larger, at least up to 1-5/8” (size 16, my grandson’s shoe size lol,) though slag experts like greg11 would know what the largest one made was I’m sure. I wonder if the 11-16s all had to special ordered? 

Good question.  Suddenly I can't remember seeing a 3/4" popeye.  

Yes, Akro did make Popeye shooters, 3/4” or so. They’re not common or ridiculously HTF, and are of course pricier than the 5/8” ones if buying. I had a set of five with three colors, red/yellow/green on a fluorescent base, that illustrated the spinner cup either slowing down or speeding up as the cork patterns got progressively weaker until the last was a Popeye patch. Unfortunately I sold the set or I’d post it :wacko:

20 hours ago, DINDO said:

I would like to see one of those huge slags.

I've sold most of my big MFC slags, but I have one that's over an inch - here's a group that shows a range of sizes to give you an idea, Dindo. The fancy Bennington is 1-5/16", the brown slag is 1-3/16, the blue - which I think is Akro - is 1", the aqua is just under 7/8", the orange is 3/4", and the electric yellow CAC is 5/8".

1267723212_P1110420(1).thumb.jpg.e8b240a186909306b7496e1a08ab4a3e.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 1:14 PM, Royal3 said:

Yes, Akro did make Popeye shooters, 3/4” or so. They’re not common or ridiculously HTF, and are of course pricier than the 5/8” ones if buying. I had a set of five with three colors, red/yellow/green on a fluorescent base, that illustrated the spinner cup either slowing down or speeding up as the cork patterns got progressively weaker until the last was a Popeye patch. Unfortunately I sold the set or I’d post it :wacko:

I had a true 7/8ths red and yellow popeye...sold it years ago for good$$...haven't seen one since.

I believe I had an MFC slag just a hair under 2", Should be an old post about it somewhere.  Traded it for a group of CAC 3/4"+ which included the Batman marble with the Joker and a penguin on it

MFC made a number 12 too. heres a few of ours, smallest shown is 5/8  largest is just shy of 2". if that helps for size comparisons.

bigslags.jpg