Contemp Artist Signature

Not a clue, John, sorry. Have you tried Ron’s site? It’s tedious to work through, but you might get lucky. They’re both classically constructed marbles, so maybe they’ve been around. 

https://www.glasmurmeln.com/HOT--ar--ar--ar--Identification-guide-for-contemporary-glass-artists.htm

23 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

I like how you put "did" in italics.

Do you have any suggestion(s) to attribution?

John

The ones signed Besett are just that.  No guess on the other ones as the styles are not unique to any artist's style.

I said "did" because I was at those shows and know them both.  I can't say about shows since as I haven't attended those.  That show seems to have shifted considerably to almost all torch work.

14 hours ago, Alan said:

The ones signed Besett are just that.  No guess on the other ones as the styles are not unique to any artist's style.

I said "did" because I was at those shows and know them both.  I can't say about shows since as I haven't attended those.  That show seems to have shifted considerably to almost all torch work.

Yes, I attended those shows, too.

Came as a visitor in 2004. Had a table the remaining years until the end.

Paul Katherman has worked hard to resurrect the show (my apologies to anyone else if not properly credited).

About the signatures on the two marbles...

I'm 100% sure they are made by Harry Besett.  What tripped me up, was I just looked at the signatures a few weeks ago. I kept seeing in my mind the name "BraD". A mental red herring.

After posting, it hit me. Royal's post had a link, but no signature for Besett. Ebay had some Besett candlesticks.  All three are signed Besett with a "range of variation".

The end stroke and return loop to cross the double "tt" are in all signatures. The "B" exhibit the same stroking angles.

The middle of the marble signatures are shortened due to the size (0.313" long) and surface curvature.

Besides all that stuff, I forgot that they were gifted to my kids. Blue for the boy and pink ribbon for the girl.

Do you have signatures on your Besett marbles to share?

John

Anyone who has tried to write their name on glass with a spinning diamond engraver know how difficult it can be to get good results let alone consistency.

The tool just wants to catch and bounce.  Hence, the skipping of the lines.

Add the complexity of a small object with a curved surface.  What a pain!!

The best engraved signature is done by Mark Matthews.  Even his micro-signatures on collaboration marbles are precise!

I understand why artists have gone to titanium pens or used signature canes.

John

Mark Matthews Collaboration "Beach Ball" Marble (1-5/16" Diameter)

887007100_MarkMatthewsSig-Z.thumb.jpg.fff18f24c359f895b952ee25c820aafe.jpg

If it were me - I'd take the easy

way and email photos of anything in question to the Bessets.  They know their work and can tell you rather easily without looking at the signature.

I'm in Tampa right now and can't take photos.  My very small Besset mica pieces are unsigned, as it would deface the piece.  Their bas relief engraved cameo pieces as well:

IMG_9185.jpg

I have a very large Besset piece (below) that i don't recall how is signed because it was a special multi-stage production project with another artist (IIRC).

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

Alan,

There is more information:  My wife confirmed the origin.

However, I did just what you suggested and sent them an email.

After doing so, I learned their barn studio suffered a devastating fire late December 2017.

They lost everything (finished inventory, office equipment, glass equipment, etc.), but no one was physically hurt.

There was (and still is) a GoFundMe to raise money to get their studio up and running.

https://www.gofundme.com/besett-vermont-glass-studio-fire

Since the fire, they have been fighting to get their business and lives back in order.

With all things considered, I felt like a total jack-a$$ with my trivial inquiry.

They have more important things to do with their time, than answer stupid emails.

So, we'll leave it at that.

The Harry Besett & Ken Leslie collaborations are totally awesome.

There are Harry Besett, Ken Leslie and Josh Simpson collaborations (e.g., "Planet Swallower").

There are Harry Besett, Wendy Besett and Josh Simpson collaborations.

Your wonderful orb is a Besett & Leslie collaboration titled "Sweeny Todd".

http://www.vtglass.com/marbles/artspherescollaboration.htm

Thanks for your help,

John