rockgardenplants

Is this Akro or Christensen?

Greetings All,

This marble has an excellent seam (Christensen) and long "lashes" (Akro). It certainly doesn't "corkscrew". The fourth photo shows the red going back into the marble.

Regards,

Confused_DSC5312copy.jpg.fd93140f77624957f2a472363d6ca6ff.jpg_DSC5314copy.jpg.87f32bc94942328435044c43a514ada0.jpg_DSC5315copy.jpg.b78bafb32e8176c329bc64d497cc0ba0.jpg_DSC5317copy.jpg.c8fc3f446ab8a33c40bde6b7ec331167.jpg_DSC5319copy.jpg.c9b1b36fb1c8282a377e4139a4462a4a.jpg

I'm sure my follow up question here is addressed someplace, but for the sake of redundancy, and keeping conversation (knowledge) flowing; What is the process that creates those unique "eyelash" tells?

They're not unique. That's a big discussion.  Some people say eyelashes not only mean Akro, but they mean Akro from the 1920's from before Ira Freese tinkered with the machines.  I strongly disagree.

Every now and then someone will post a marble from another maker to show non-Akro eyelashes.  But all Akro corkscrews were made after Ira Freese did his famous tinkering at Akro.  Every now and then some just ended up with lashes.  

I think it's just about whether the shearing mechanism is getting worn or needs sharpening.

Well, great info. I don't know why I had the idea the lashes we're unique to Akro. Thank you for the correction. I love this place. Everyone is so kind with sharing. I've become accustomed to a heavy dose arrogance from the guitar collectors forums I visit. Thanks again!

Freese? As in pre-freese? I have always wondered and have never asked about this term I have seen.