Found some corkscrews I had forgotten

jten

I've seen those made.  The technique is to make a pseudo-cane with Moretti, twist it a bit and then quickly torch-off segments into a small diameter copper pipe.  The glass rolls down the length of pipe (about 3.5') and rounds itself (mostly) and drops out the end.

23 hours ago, Alan said:

I've seen those made.  The technique is to make a pseudo-cane with Moretti, twist it a bit and then quickly torch-off segments into a small diameter copper pipe.  The glass rolls down the length of pipe (about 3.5') and rounds itself (mostly) and drops out the end.

Alan,

That is neat. Never seen the tube used before.

Just to be clear, are you saying that is how Dan Ambrose made those or how you saw another artist make theirs?

I've seen (and made) them using the cane/drip technique and murrini technique. Never used a tube.

Bo Stiff made awesome popeyes.  Maybe someone saw him make those and would comment.

Thanks!  John

6 hours ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Alan,

That is neat. Never seen the tube used before.

Just to be clear, are you saying that is how Dan Ambrose made those or how you saw another artist make theirs?

I've seen (and made) them using the cane/drip technique and murrini technique. Never used a tube.

Bo Stiff made awesome popeyes.  Maybe someone saw him make those and would comment.

Thanks!  John

John:  I don't know who was making them.  It was one of the Ohio shows.  The copper pipe was <1/2" diameter.  At the time - there was only one person who I had ever seen making/selling them.

1 hour ago, jten said:

I have a bottle of the blue, yellow white popeyes somewhere don't know if they are by the same artist

I can't say if Bo was the first, exclusive or one-of-many that made Micro or Mini Popeyes.

What I think he did best was making mini Popeye Box sets. I believe Sue Cooper sewed the mini bags for him.

Maybe Steph can find some photos.

John

1 hour ago, Shamrock Marbles said:

Alan,

Thank you. I was hoping that you saw Dan Ambrose make them with a copper pipe. Like a personal witness to history.

I remember hearing stories of people doing marble making demos in hotel rooms with carpet. I think those are the "good ol' days"?

John

Among a few others, John Hamon Miller was a constant fixture at show hotels years ago.  It was common to see a torch going on the hotel room desk and John was just a slow and steady guy.  I spent a fair amount of time with him.  At Columbus - he would bring a 5' folding table and set up in the courtyard just outside his room.  "Annealing" was done in a 1 lb. Maxwell House coffee can filled with vermiculite.  John would say "I think I'm going to do sort of a Golden Rebel-themed pattern" - and then if you stayed long enough - you'd see him change the design subtly from piece to piece....tuning it to his mind's eye concept.  One night he said "I'm going to make this Submarine design tonight only - and then never again."  Sure enough - you'd never see it again.

Here is some of John's hotel room work:

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg