Corkscrews in 1990 -- collectors names

I was sent this small periodical, Glass Collector's Digest, from "December/January 1990".  It has an article about Akro corkscrews inside.  It was written by the authors of Greenberg's Guide to Marbles, a pioneering volume in the history of marbles.  It's interesting to me because I like seeing how marble names change, and because of how our understanding of the history has changed in the decades since 1990.  I think I learned some new things, but some of the things in the article are now known not to be true,  so I'll need to read it another time or two to sort the new-to-me facts out from the statements which are outdated.

What struck my fancy first was that what we call "corkscrews", the authors called "spirals".  They did note that some people call them "corkscrews".  They said "spiral" is what the Akro workers called them.  And they said the company name was "Ace".  (So the authors called ALL corkscrews "spirals", and they said the company called them all "aces".  To us now, "aces" and "spirals" are just two of the many different style names we know Akro to have used.  So that's  one glimpse of how our understanding has evolved.)

rrVKoiV.jpg

The first pages.  Not posting the whole article, to try to honor fair use and copyright.  

Wh0yQWc.jpg

Ahhh the pre -internet days!  Thanks Steph you have made me feel old lol.

All praise the internet! Oh and the Akro Salesmen Box. My personal Rosetta Stone for Akro marbles because the names are written right there in the box.

• 1 year later...