A little bit of help, please.

Spherophile

I recently acquired several hundred marbles (long story), and suddenly found myself in the world of mibdom. I’ve been studying and reading everything I can find and have learned a lot, but have a few questions. 

1. This marble (see attached picture) has me stumped. It has a satin finish, and the colors seem unusual. Limited fluorescence under UV, although the colors look a bit fluorescent under normal light. I can provide more pics if necessary. 

2. Would someone please explain what defines a wirepull, and how they were made? 

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but want to try and work it out on my own as much as possible first. I appreciate your help. 

Thank you!

3459303D-A5CA-43D7-8DB9-5907C7FC0087.jpeg

Edited by Spherophile
Added tag

Welcome.   You have a Peltier Rainbo. That satin finish could come from time spent in an aquarium.  (one possibility)

A wirepull is sort of a normal marble actually in spite of it's intriguing name. It was made by a thin stream of molten glass with a thin ribbon of color in it. The stream  piled up onto itself in a zig zaggy manner which some thought looked like it could have been caused by the movement of a wire.  It wasn't. 

There are lots of swirls made in a similar way.  The ones which get the wirepull name are from Europe.  Specifically they have been identified as having been made by the Veiligglas company in Amsterdam.   Here is a thread @winnie started on the.  (She's from Amsterdam.) 

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/20865-veiligglas-wirepulls

Always glad to help. 

I'm not seeing those as wirepulls.  But I could be wrong.  Been wrong many times.  ^_^  I"m seeing them in the general family of swirls.  A little feathery in the ribbon in your more detailed shot.  The Veiligglas marbles tend to have crisper ribbon.