Red & Gold Swirl

A while back I traded with a guy for a box of marbles.  Many have what appears to calcium or some other kind of mineral deposits.  I live near the beach so its quite possible they have been exposed to salt water.   This gold & red swirl is one of the more interesting ones.  Does anyone know what it is?  It's by far the most interesting.  Is it worth the effort to continue to clean it?

I've tried Bar Keepers Friend which contains oxalic acid.  I've had few soaking in vinegar for a couple of days which has helped some.  Does anyone have any advice on cleaning dug marbles?  I thought about buying a sonic cleaner and giving it a try.  Has anyone ever used one to clean marbles?

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7778.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG

This is what the search engine pulled up about sonic cleaners: 

On 11/28/2011 at 1:10 AM, richsantaclaus said:

I use an ultra sonic cleaning machine for 8 minutes and repeat if necessary.

Oddly enough I was one who posted about sonic cleaners ... but I was collating advice from others. :) 

On 8/23/2007 at 2:16 PM, Steph said:

In the past few days I've been making notes of some of the rust-cleaning advice I've seen.

• Bar Keepers Friend has been suggested often, with Bon Ami once suggested as a less abrasive alternative to that.
  • Dustin/Mordiskul said Coca-Cola and a Q-tip work well.
  • Steve/SplattmanSS said "If rust stained or heavily crudded, CLR works too...cut it 50/50 with water and soak 'em for a bit...Then get a toothbrush...repeat as necessary.."
  • Someone else said to try toothpaste.
  • William Marbles said, "They are glass, so wash them like dishes.....soak them with denture tablet.....use a jewler's sonic machine"
  • Galen has also put in a good word for the sonic jewelry cleaner.
  • Some more manual suggestions were an "exacto knife with a brand new blade" and "triple 0 steel wool".
  • Finally, I remember someone somewhere suggesting a very specific brand of white bath soap ... but I haven't found that reference again.