Heaton Agate site dig 9-21-19

I took some photos and Linda sent me some additional photos of the digging action for the web site. It was another good time, good weather, a good haul and some new friendly faces. http://westvirginiamarblecollectorsclub.com/pastshows/?view=30&pg=1

I went straight to my original treeline pit and staked my claim, then had the track hoe operator help me get passed those unyielding oven bricks a few feet down. Here's half the day's booty. Check out the cache of oxblood cullet in the last photo.  http://westvirginiamarblecollectorsclub.com/pastshows/?view=32&pg=1

8 hours ago, Spherophile said:

These are wonderful! That looks like a great way to spend a few days. 

I’m curious what you used to clean those marbles—they look amazing!

I tried many suggested products, but a two day soak in Bleach was hands down the best for removing nearly everything. Some stubborn tar like stains and some rust deposits required some scrubbing.

I've added a couple pictures from the shipping dock pit location. Ron was kind enough to offer to fill some digger's buckets from the immense cache in the pit. My bucket worth yielded about a gallon of good ones. See last two pictures. http://westvirginiamarblecollectorsclub.com/pastshows/?view=32&pg=1

Update on the cleaning. Not sure why, but the bleach didn't do quite as good a job as the the first time. I think my mass bristle brush scouring was a bit more gentle, though most residual surface deposits will rub away with some additional effort.

I just realized there is such a thing as scotch brite gloves! A must!

I don't know if any employees switched from Ravenswood to Heaton ? Doubtful most employees lived close to the factory, as the pay was small. But someone could have moved? I have a list of most the Ravenswood employees and all were from Ravenswood or the very near area. There are Ravenswood marbles at the Heaton site. Even Red Ravens. Jack Bogard told me he bought Ravenswood marbles at the last auction many years after Ravenswood had closed. He also bought one of the machines. I think Heaton may have bought a few Ravenswood marbles while both of them were in business. We found at least six different marble companies marbles while digging at Heaton. Most were very small numbers compared the Heaton marbles. We found 7/8 Vitro All Reds most broken, 7/8 Masters most fractured, about 6-10 Akro 5/8 corks, maybe 15-20 5/8 MK, About 6-10 Ravenswood Red Ravens, Bogard banana cats, etc. I know Jack Bogard packaged other companies marbles. Bogard was at the site after Heaton closed. Ravenswood and Heaton sites were about 70 miles apart. In the 1940's and early 1950's that was a long drive.