Marbles you could be tempted to part with but ....

Steph

Marbles you've thought of parting with -- for money or friendship -- but you just couldn't do it.

I bought these from an esteemed seller.  It was in  facebook offering.   The listing was bargain-priced and there were even more marbles than I'm showing here.  I couldn't believe there were no takers, so I was trying to help talk the group up, and then I decided I had to have them.   Maybe Marble King copperheads just aren't as desirable to others as I expected them to be.  But I'm afraid if I ever did part with them I'd have to pay dearly to get any back.  So the three copperheads in this group are in my "you better not think about selling these" group.  But I guess I _would_ consider giving them away if it were really important to someone. :) 

1CDpRlu.jpg

For me I think it would be my fancier hand cut agates. One reason is their esteemed history. They are old veterans who were once the most valued and expensive marbles. Each one in unique. I feel a connection with history and the original owners to such a degree it would be a sort of betrayal to let them go. I feel more like their keeper than owner. ;)

• 1 month later...

On 11/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, bumblebee said:

For me I think it would be my fancier hand cut agates. One reason is their esteemed history. They are old veterans who were once the most valued and expensive marbles. Each one in unique. I feel a connection with history and the original owners to such a degree it would be a sort of betrayal to let them go. I feel more like their keeper than owner. ;)

I look at these ones in the same way. 

107_1522.jpg

I would be hard pressed to part with any of my marbles for any reason. The ones I hold most dear I dug up as a small child in the yard behind our kitchen. They are in my leather bag I got in like 5th grade along with another 30 or so I collected before then. Some nice ones from an antique store too. The newest one in that bag is a shooter, glow in the dark from the moon marble company, got that when I was like 12.

I almost gave my wife one she really liked from that bag but I just couldn't do it. I didn't think she would keep it in a nice safe spot. I did give her some other marbles she liked that weren't from my childhood marble bag, she has no idea where they are. Sadly I guess I made the right decision.

She loves the rings I have gotten her. I wouldn't call them mass produced but jewellery in my opinion is about as meaningful as a store bought card. Yet I give her some beautiful marbles from my collection and they get lost.  She isn't the only significant other to lack this appreciation.

I think the most difficult part isn't the emotions connected with a marble you are giving away but trust you do or don't have in the other person.

understood ... I took a leap and sent some special  marbles to my nieces and nephews and didn't even hear back from them, not about the marbles.  About other things.  They're good kids.  But not about the marbles. 

It was an exercise to detach myself from thinking about the ones  which might have still been in my Akro box.