Steph

Goofy things you do because you collect marbles?

I was just writing to a neighbor about a cat in the alley ... and I had to backspace to remove the capital A from alley. :)

If I'm talking about going on some adventure, I often have to backspace to add in a d ...... 

42 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Some think because I collect marbles that I am total goofy. 

What?  How could that be?!

I'm betting there have been more than one person who thought to themselves, "Oh man, I should not have asked Chuck about marbles... mental note, avoid that topic from now on... I didn't want to talk about them for 2 hours".  More than once someone has asked about marbles and before long I'm toting boxes of marbles into the living room lol. I've had dreams about marbles too, and arrowheads.

my husband says he'd love to play marbles with me, but he knows I'd freak out if any marbles hit each other

1 hour ago, Steph said:

my husband says he'd love to play marbles with me, but he knows I'd freak out if any marbles hit each other

My wifey knows I freak out when she wants to see one and holds it over our glass table to hold it up to the light. It's happened more than once, YIKES!

Oh I get all kinds of anxious when someone holds a marble over something hard. Almost panicky if it's a good one. I've had so many marbles dropped and I've dropped some myself. I've dropped someone else's marble once. I dropped a fellow collector's marble once so far, it belonged to John S. and I was over concrete at Ron's house :o . Thankfully it didn't hurt it. You can't handle marbles and not drop one at some point no matter how hard you try. 

I fantasize about amazing scores. One involves finding a 50-gallon drum filled with marbles at an old picker's homestead.

The other is discovering an entire railroad car filled with Akro marbles.

My mind has worked out my strategy how I will sort through these marbles and also how to sell many without over-saturating the market.

Of course my mind insists these marbles aren't Chinese checkers or clearies. ;)

18 hours ago, bumblebee said:

My mind has worked out my strategy how I will sort through these marbles and also how to sell many without over-saturating the market.

:lol:

I hate it when I am at auctions and people pick up handfuls of marbles and let them rain down into the container. I will tell the auctioneer to put the marbles up front so they won't be damaged if I want to bid on them.

At the end of November you get a bag of dug Alleys and now it's February and you're still not sure if you want to wash off the dirt .... 

That's West Virginia dirt!  

SnfEsgN.jpg

I'm cleaning house today, Steph. Can send you some WV dirt. 

I find myself asking random people if they have/collect marbles. There is a mower repair shop in Ravenswood and I fight the urge to call the owner and ask if he collects marbles. He just looks like one of those people. I also imagine searching an abandoned school yard and finding lots marbles.