Not sure? Please help..

Germ

Picked these up at an auction on a hunch that they were handmade. They are not perfect spheres so it was a hunch as I'm not a marble collector.

I collect vintage Harley Davidson. Pre Shovelhead motorcycles.

I believe them to be Peltier..

I was wondering if you guys had any info for me.. I have probably 800-1000 of them.

Thanks.

Jackson

IMG_20200130_193018.jpg

IMG_20200130_193056.jpg

IMG_20200130_193810.jpg

IMG_20200130_193926.jpg

First, remove the steelies/ball bearings from the glass marbles.

These are machine-made.   There are many Vitro All-Reds -- many in the "blackline" style. 

I see a couple of Peltier Rainbos, and a Peltier banana cat's eye.   And I see a few cat's eyes from other companies. 

I'm pretty sure I see at least a couple of Marble Kings.  Can't be 100% in these views, but I think one of more of the blue and white ones in the first photo will turn out to be patch-and-ribbon style Marble King Rainbows.

It would be best to only post a few marbles per thread, and post them in an order where it's easy to point to which marble is being ID-ed.  Makes sense, right?  Otherwise, it's really hard to convey to each other which marble we're talking about.  That said, I'll highlight this photo because this one's easy.  This is a Peltier Rainbo on top and one of your Vitro blackline All-Reds on bottom. 

IMG_20200130_193926.jpg

I once went to a Harley factory hoping to be able to stop at the gift shop to get something for my dad.  The gift shop was closed but two workers were out front.  The lady told the man to give me his Harley blue jean jacket.  He was gonna, and I was tempted, but I  said "no, no, that's okay".  

Kinda wish I had accepted.  Would have made an even better story. :) 

21 minutes ago, Steph said:

I once went to a Harley factory hoping to be able to stop at the gift shop to get something for my dad.  The gift shop was closed but two workers were out front.  The lady told the man to give me his Harley blue jean jacket.  He was gonna, and I was tempted, but I  said "no, no, that's okay".  

Kinda wish I had accepted.  Would have made an even better story. :) 

I'll trade Panhead and Knucklehead stuff for marbles.. lol

IMG_20200130_201901.jpg

IMG_20200130_202146.jpg

There is no magic link or book to identify marbles. There were and still are many millions being produced  weekly and monthly. I know of no one who knows how many different varieties, sizes, color combinations, etc. that have been made since Roman times or before. The two major groups are handmade and machine made.  Both of these groups can be old or newer. It take years of effort time and work to identify 25-50% of the marbles you will see. All the marble questions have never been answered yet. Marbles can be a lifelong learning process. Learn what a old handmade marble is, a machine made, a corkscrew, different types or styles, on and on. Learn before buying. Buy what you know. Buying blind can with time get expensive and then end up with nothing much for the money and time.  There are hundreds of fake marble bags and packages out there. There are fake marbles out there, beware. Any marble collector that has collected for a few years, has purchased a fake. Marble collecting has many life time rewards of many types. One of the best is the close friends made over years. Some marble shows are like a family reunion. 

I'm a beginner so I still like to buy jars of marbles just for the fun of it, if it is not too expensive.  But, already, I've bought a few marbles that are not what they were thought to be. When I'm not sure, I don't buy anything expensive. If you buy something that is extremely collectible or rare, it is good to have a trusted knowledgeable source.  Making mistakes, though, comes with the territory. This site is awesome because you can look at other posts to learn stuff.  Sometimes book photos don't have the clarity that some pics on this site have.