Boxes of marbles

wvrons

Wow!  I was just thinking the same thing about the museum!  It is so helpful to see the marbles that are actually in the box since there were so much overlapping in machines and techniques used between companies, it seems.  My favorite was the birthday card that seemed to come with marbles.  It reminds me of the day when toy surprises that came with snacks (like Cracker Jacks) were really treasures to a kid.

The 400 count Ajax box contain Alox marbles.

The birthday card box contains Veligglas marbles. Machine made marbles were so cheap that many were free if you purchased a certain item.  Ninety five percent of the Davis Marble Works marbles were sent to Puerto Rico. The mesh bag of Davis marbles were free if purchased a toy doll. You got free marbles with Buster Brown shoes. You got free marbles with Esso gasoline fill up. You got free marbles in cereal boxes.  Bags of marbles or marble bottle hangers were free with a six pack of soda. With a three cent deposit on each glass bottle. Which was used over and over. A long list of free marbles.