These are my best bull's eye's, I believe 2 are old, I can't find any facet mark's on the other's no matter how hard I look still good lookin mib's. Please  pay no attention to the alley's on the outside, I just put them there so they don't get knocked around.

curio 13.PNG

Edited by Chad G.
backward's amount of faceted mib's

Yes they are. I especially like the one's that where died blue.  Wish I could run into some. I used to actually be able to tell if it was faceted or not w/ my bare hand's, but in 2004 T developed a spinal condition that left me w/ about 1/2 or less feeling in my hand's and feet, that's why I have to edit all the time because I can't tell if I hit the key or not. So if you see allot of missing letter's in the word's in my post's you know why. I try to catch them all but some slip by me.

I wish I had never parted with a single aggie.  I haven't had a lot, but the veterans with all the moons?  I sold some of those on ebay.   Wish I never sold a marble.  Well, selling Jabos did help me make the down payment for my  house.  But I wish I still had most of the rest of the marbles I ever sold.  :)  

6 hours ago, Steph said:

I wish I had never parted with a single aggie.  I haven't had a lot, but the veterans with all the moons?  I sold some of those on ebay.   Wish I never sold a marble.  Well, selling Jabos did help me make the down payment for my  house.  But I wish I still had most of the rest of the marbles I ever sold.  :)  

You aren't the only one believe me.

Living here in Washington there allot of agate's in the creek bed's, I used to collect them as a kid in Oregon when we where out catchin crawdad's or trout fishin. I have coffee can's of banded and blood agate's, that's what drew me to these.  The state line (The Columbia river) is only 4 mile from my present home, and where I grew up as a kid only another 10.

1 hour ago, schmoozer said:

We live up in Poulsbo.

" Howdy neighbor "Small world, and getting smaller all the time. If you went to the marble show when they had it in Tukwila a couple year's back I may have seen you there ??

Hello Bruce, Kalama is only 10 min. drive east of my local up the interstate. I used to fish the Kalama river all the time. Bought quite a few mib's there to, small town lot's of antique store's. Use to have a bunch of my friend's that where, and are vendor's @ what's left of the antique store's there.

These are my aggies: 1st pic- all hand cut, 2nd pic- 2 stone mibs not agate, shale and limestone, I think, and last- a jar full of machine mades- with a couple of really beat up hand mades. Some of the machine mades are just stone spheres, never meant to be marbles. some are made to be marbles, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

Bruce

aggies1.jpg

stone mibs.jpg

aggies jar1.jpg

• 5 months later...

Read this post .here is a couple I have don't know new from old but some kid loved it

On 8/31/2020 at 8:45 PM, Chad G. said:

They probably all ran when they seen you a comin with yer pocket o aggie's, either that or face the wrath of an angry piece of stone slamming into their soon to be chipped up shooter. Smore pic's, some old !! some new !!

1 (637).JPG

1 (639).JPG

1 (653).JPG

1 (655).JPG

1 (640).JPG

1 (641).JPG

1 (656).JPG

1 (642).JPG

1 (643).JPG

20210211_101635.jpg

20210211_101609.jpg

20210211_101624.jpg

I wish I could see you in person and show you the difference between a hand ground and machine ground, I'll do my best to explain. The newer machine ground are only worth about 2 - 5 bucks apiece "tops" depending on what they are made of. The surface will have a perfect unwavering kind of dull looking sheen under mag. The old hand ground (You'll have to get a loupe to start ) 10 - 20 x, will have a slight wavering pattern around the entire mib, some of the guys that ground these got really good at it, a production oriented atmosphere and if your marbles weren't up to par or you didn't produce enough, down the road you went. Just because there are hits on it doesn't make it antique, you can't tell if it was hit yesterday or 100 yrs. ago, the only advice I can give you on these is to find a definite example of both and that will erase most of the questions for you. Most of the older ones didn't get much over 1" with the greatest value being in the died ones, Blue and especially green are usually twice as valuable as the common carnelian bullseyes you & I have. The biggest mib I posted is only about 3/4, the little white agate is a peewee, 1/2" right on the nose. If you have a good sense of touch you can feel the faceting on most hand ground but it's not going to happen overnight. Good luck Tommy, have fun.

Chad

I think one of the best ways to pretty easily distinguish a hand-ground one is to but a bright light on it and rotate it slowly. If the point of light sort of flickers or appears to jump around a bit, it's probably because of the facets on the hand-made ones. Machine-ground made ones will not show the same. I don't usually need magnification to see this effect.

Guess I could have explained it better, that's what I meant by dull sheen on factory and visible ripples on hand made, some of my better hand ground I tell you I couldn't see the facets until I used the loupe, could be because I'm half blind ?? Thanks Ric for shortening it up.