Champion furnace mibs

Chad G.

Yes !! a most excellent example, Champion agate made these mib's , You probably got confused by the wide variation in the swirl's and color's, but it sure look's like your getting the hang of it, fracture's are very common on these mib's, don't let that detour you, . personally if I had a marble like your's even w/ fracture's I'd keep it anyway "Nice mib Bruce"

Chad; thanks for the encouragement but I still don't know what makes it a furnace. Mine was Identified as a furnace on another site, long ago, by someone else. I have read definitions for a few years now and "furnace" is still a moving target, for me at least. Early definitions said that they were made from furnace scrapings, this has since been debunked but the name stuck. About the only characteristic that anyone seems to agree on is that they are often fractured.

Your OP mib for example looks like a clearie with yellow brushed on. Don't get me wrong, It's Beautiful. But it couldn't be more different from Al's examples (also beautiful) which look more like "calligraphies",  I guess what I'm looking for is the common thread.  Thanks

Bruce

The color's on the mib I have in the pic. continue through and swirl around inside the marble, I know not the best example but never the less not a hotwheels but a furnace marble. " CORRECTION "( sorry for the mislead Bruce ) The marble I have pictured is not a furnace mib, but a "red cloud" thank you Ron for setting thing's straight.

Edited by Chad G.
" Error "

These are called Champion Furnace marbles or Champion Furnace Scraping marbles. Glass can have a different coefficenecy, you cannot just mix and remelt any and all glass together. If the coeffiencey is to far apart the glass will fracture badly. Champion got the idea that instead of a costly complete rebuild of a furnace, once it had to much glass build up. That they could use Wissimach glass a much different coefficency than the glass Champion used. This would make the glass buildup in the Champion furnace to fracture and fall apart and out.  They never ever planned to market or sell the marbles from this. They did the trail, the Wissimach glass did fracture the marbles. But it never fractured the furnace buildup enough to remove it. The theory and trail was a failure. They discarded most of the marbles and allowed employees to take them free.  They had to end up building a new furnace, which is time and costly.  Many or most of the Champion Furnace marbles have fractures but some do not. Most were very bright colors and some great swirl and flame patterns.  They are unique to Champion alone and most are easy to identify.

• Like 1

I don't mean to mislead anyone in my post's. I've just been taught the wrong thing by people who thought they knew the right answer. I am grateful for this forum and a chance to learn the actual truth behind the history of theses marble's and the companies that produced them, the way's and mean's of a hobby I enjoy very much. It's to bad the glass wasn't compatible  in the furnace marble's, some very beautiful marble's, I'll have to dig a little harder !!

Edited by Chad G.
correction !!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have this one. It was in the same pile as the one in my previous post. I've had them for quite a while. I went back and forth about it's being a furnace. as nice as the other one is, that's how bad this one is: wrinkled like a prune, lots of schmutz in the glass, ash, soot, whatever. But if anything looks like it was scraped from the sides of a furnace....  What do you think? Thanks

Bruce

wrinkled.jpg

wrinkled2.jpg

Yes another Champion furnace marble, and one of my favorite color combo's  @ that, make's 2 you have Bruce. "Thanks for the pics". I do have a pee-wee I completely spaced out, it's in my pee-wee thread. I'll post it again here where it belongs, 1/2 " on the nose.

1 (391).JPG

1 (390).JPG

1.png