Jump to content

HTF Prize/2 color corks


Recommended Posts

"Very nice mib's" the color combination's are unlimited, whatever combination you can imagine Akro, whether for mass production or a rare dug example made just about every color there is. " Happy Hunting " here is a repost of some of my fave's, most of the prize names I have are in a separate curio, there are a few mixed in here also, I like the onyx like the blue one on the upper (R) hand side, superman is also an old standby favorite of mine. I really like the red and black you have, another of my favorite color combinations, what am I sayin , I like em all, nice job Sara. :thup:

 

1 (441).JPG

Edited by Chad G.
addition
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Al Oregon! Such beauties and great photos. 

So, there are 2 I don't have from yours: blue/red, and blue/black (if that is black?) first photo, 2nd row from the bottom, same row as blue/red. 

This is what I'm looking for!! Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly impossible to get all colors of prize names. Then when you throw Aces, Popeyes, Specials, Augers& Snakes, and all the oddballs that don't really fit a category into the mix, the mind reels. That's why I like Corks so much; Endless variety.

Here are a few of my Prize Names.

Bruce

prize names1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always led to believe the one's w/ the black outline are 3 color specials, anything over 2 color's is a special not a prize name, small as the outline may be it's still a clear separation of one color encasing the other color and considered a special i.e. row( 1) blue, orange, black )    row( 2) red black and green ) of sarab's mib's, a small difference but never the less different. I welcome any new info, please let me know your opinion !! The one's I would consider prize names in the pic I posted are the ( blue & yellow ) ( black & yellow ) ( Black & white ) ( red & purple ) ( red & yellow ) ( orange & green ) all absent of any shading or outline between color's 2 color's only and what I consider a true prize name. I hope this help's me and Sara both w/ some clarification !!! Please help & submit your info. Thank you !!

                                                                                                                                                                                 Chad G.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Berryb said:

Nearly impossible to get all colors of prize names. Then when you throw Aces, Popeyes, Specials, Augers& Snakes, and all the oddballs that don't really fit a category into the mix, the mind reels. That's why I like Corks so much; Endless variety.

Here are a few of my Prize Names.

Bruce

prize names1.jpg

Nice prizes Bruce, I'm having camera difficulty, can't post a thing, drats right when I need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I was always led to believe the one's w/ the black outline are 3 color specials, anything over 2 color's is a special not a prize name, small as the outline may be it's still a clear separation of one color encasing the other color and considered a special i.e. row( 1) blue, orange, black )    row( 2) red black and green ) of sarab's mib's, a small difference but never the less different. I welcome any new info, please let me know your opinion !! The one's I would consider prize names in the pic I posted are the ( blue & yellow ) ( black & yellow ) ( Black & white ) ( red & purple ) ( red & yellow ) ( orange & green ) all absent of any shading or outline between color's 2 color's only and what I consider a true prize name. I hope this help's me and Sara both w/ some clarification !!! Please help & submit your info. Thank you !!

                                                                                                                                                                                 Chad G.


A little variation in shading or some chemical reaction between the two colors doesn't stop it from being a Prize Name.    Here are some Prize Names in a salesman sample case.   If I understand what you're saying,  you might not have thought some of them would belong, right?

3Akrosamplerboxes011.jpg
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steph said:


A little variation in shading or some chemical reaction between the two colors doesn't stop it from being a Prize Name.    Here are some Prize Names in a salesman sample case.   If I understand what you're saying,  you might not have thought some of them would belong, right?

3Akrosamplerboxes011.jpg
 

 

"correct" I see none of the black or dark colored shading going around any of the color's in your sample box, the shading can be quite pronounced on some mib's @ what point do they become specials. I've always thought that no outline can exist, I see none in the box of examples you have with a black outline around the corking color, therefore all prize names I see no specials. The same as the ones I posted and specified as prize names, no outline or dark color, not a blend but a separate color from either i.e. red and green don't make black !! I hope I'm going in the right direction, like I said my camera is on the fritz when I need it most, I have some w/ a very heavy dark outline all the way around the outside cork color I most definitely consider specials, just as in Sara's 1st row blue surrounded by a black or dark colored outline and an orange base, this is a special to me, row 2 orange surrounded by black or a dark color w/ a green base also a special, Your point of view on this one would be of great help Steph, thank you. ( ALL marble's to me, I collect what I like just trying to get a clearer perspective and maybe I'll learn somethin in the process ) Nice rare ( I wish I had one ) sales mans sample box.

                                                                                                                                                            Much Thanks, Chad G. 

Edited by Chad G.
addition
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Bruce.

Nice group photo. Question: so gray base is considered a non-white base Prize name? Looking at the blue/gray to left of red/blue. 

And yes, I too love opaque corks the best of all. 

Sara

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad, I guess I took a photo of some of my "special" Prize names......I could have just posted ones with no outlines/shading, but, hey, we learned something! 

Thank you Stephanie for weighing in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think "prize name" just means 2 opaque colors. I don't believe Akro differentiated between white base and any other color for naming purposes.  White base with basic (primary) colors are the most common but some odd colors w/white seem to be pretty HTF.

Thanks

Bruce

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad, I'm afraid to answer about "specials" because it could start a debate which would be very off-topic.  I guess I can break it into a separate thread if we get too far afield. 

  To the best of my understanding, Akro didn't make any style that they specifically called "Special".  That is a collector's name.   Dark outline of the sort which is a relatively common  byproduct of multicolor marble manufacture doesn't change what Akro intended.  It might indeed get some collectors to call it a Special, but generally not me. 

If Akro ran the marble in their standard two-color Prize Name run and it got an additional thin stream of dark glass on the borders of the main colors that didn't stop it from being a Prize Name.   Also, here's a good time to say Bruce  is right about white or gray or cream or whatnot being counted as one of the two colors.  But I don't know how non-white a white-ish shade would need to be for people to think of it as "non-white".  In the blue/gray one that I think you're talking about, Sara, I'm seeing it as still in the blue/white region.   As one last side note, I note that the colors didn't have to be strictly opaque ... some transparency slipped into some the ribbons of some marbles in Prize Name runs but the overall effect was still an opaque marble and that was apparently good enough for Akro.

Akro named their intentional three-color version "Tri-Color Agate".  

"Special" is one of those names like "Ace" which early collectors saw on boxes or something and made conclusions about  but the conclusions  turned out to not quite match what Akro meant (or  what Akro probably, in my opinion, meant).   Akro sold assortments in boxes marked Special.  They advertised Sparklers as one of the things you might get in a Special Assortment.  And they had various other marbles including popeyes in the Special section of their salesman sample box.  

xOqiD0n.jpg
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Steph, I knew special was just a collectors name, a special is " anything" other than a prize name, it's all just perspective, I appreciate the time you took to look up the I.D. sheet and sales box pics.

                                                                                                                                                                                                Thanks,

                                                                                                                                                                                                    Chad G.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steph, 

I remember even asking, or at least thought, about the Akro page you shared, "where are Specials?". You answered my questions now. I also have wondered "where are Perfections?" but don't want to muddy the waters here. Unless they are on a different Akro catalogue page? Just muddied......

I will move my non-white base single color corks into my Prize organizer. Thank for that too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...