Named Heaton types

cheese

Thanks for the input!

Next:

These Heatons always appealed to me. I was picking out handfuls every time we washed a bucket at Ron's house. I never could figure out a name for them. They are dark, smoky, mysterious, purple and grey and dark magic green/brown. Voodoo. That's it! Heaton Voodoo. 

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-98.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-96.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-97.

• Like 1

Very nice, a good name Chuck, for an outstanding marble, classic Heaton ear shape swirls. I looked at it last night for a while. I think you and I were the only ones on the forum at the time !!   "Thanks for the bump man"

Chad G.

Just when I get started on Jabo ( long overdue ) I get pummeled by a load of Heatons, I wouldn't have it any other way. !!!

Oh yeah, good mornin Chuck !!! 

Yep, I was on late last night. I think of all the places needing to be dug and needing documentation, Heaton was probably the one needing it most. We had no idea. We thought Heaton only made 20 or so types and most of them were "blah". Now so many marbles that were in our Champions and Ravenswoods have provenance and others we didn't even know about are found. I found a lot on ebay that I determined were mostly Heatons and some of the named types were in it, so they have been out there. I know another guy who just bought a big lot at an estate sale and lo and behold, they are Heatons, many of the same ones we dug and a few that I haven't seen yet, so they are out there, we just have to make the connection to the maker. This is why I'm sharing so many Heaton photos. Some new collectors and even some old collectors are stating that Heaton is now their favorite swirl maker! Can you imagine? Little old Heaton that 2 years ago nobody cared about is now the favorite of some. They really did make a variety of excellent marbles. 

This type marble we looked over a bit and I looked at Ron and said, this marble makes me feel cold. He grinned and turned his notepad with potential names on it and was pointing at the name "Iceberg". So we all agreed that is the appropriate name for this one. I like it. Blue, white, and brown tracer. These are more common than ones like the Blue Denim but I'm not sure there are enough for all collectors. Maybe more will come out of existing collections. I bet 200 or so were found based on what I saw in our buckets and figuring how many other people got buckets. The Heaton Iceberg:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-202

DSCN5272.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-99.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Some very appropriate names, right on cue. some more beauties for the old Heaton folder. "Thanks for posting the pictures Chuck"

Chad G.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Yep, I was on late last night. I think of all the places needing to be dug and needing documentation, Heaton was probably the one needing it most. We had no idea. We thought Heaton only made 20 or so types and most of them were "blah". Now so many marbles that were in our Champions and Ravenswoods have provenance and others we didn't even know about are found. I found a lot on ebay that I determined were mostly Heatons and some of the named types were in it, so they have been out there. I know another guy who just bought a big lot at an estate sale and lo and behold, they are Heatons, many of the same ones we dug and a few that I haven't seen yet, so they are out there, we just have to make the connection to the maker. This is why I'm sharing so many Heaton photos. Some new collectors and even some old collectors are stating that Heaton is now their favorite swirl maker! Can you imagine? Little old Heaton that 2 years ago nobody cared about is now the favorite of some. They really did make a variety of excellent marbles. 

This type marble we looked over a bit and I looked at Ron and said, this marble makes me feel cold. He grinned and turned his notepad with potential names on it and was pointing at the name "Iceberg". So we all agreed that is the appropriate name for this one. I like it. Blue, white, and brown tracer. These are more common than ones like the Blue Denim but I'm not sure there are enough for all collectors. Maybe more will come out of existing collections. I bet 200 or so were found based on what I saw in our buckets and figuring how many other people got buckets. The Heaton Iceberg:

DSCN5272.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-99.

I'm really surprised they weren't more popular, But the limited use of their av. and cost at the time I'm sure played a big part in it. Some of these marbles more than likely never seen full production, either that or a very limited run.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heaton Fawn got it's name innocently enough. They showed up at every dig, there were a lot of them and around the loading dock especially. I believe it was Ron that said that the base glass color was Vitrolite and Vitrolite's name for that color was "fawn". So occasionally someone would say something like "Boy, I sure am finding a lot of those fawn colored ones" and so on until they were just referred to as "Fawns". So that's how they got named, it was just how things worked out over time. Although they are plentiful, finding a mint one has proven to be difficult. The purple fractured a lot, and this purple was also susceptible to glass sickness, so many have abalone or even a heavier striation to it that looks like golden metallic. Like golden hair. I've nicknamed those "Argonauts" because of Jason and the Golden Fleece, although that's not an official name. The purple is Wissmach glass, which probably explains the fractures. I dug a lot of Wissmach glass down from the loading dock, most of it in greens and this purple. Then you can also find these fawns with other colors in them, like bright blue, which would make it a Blue Fawn or grey with it would make it a Grey Fawn, etc... but they all have the purple in them. The Blue Fawns are striking and HTF. 

A typical Heaton Fawn 

Untitled-design-15.jpg

DSCN5376.jpg

DSCN5387.jpg

Here's one with the metallic look from being buried for so long

Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Presenta

Here are some Blue Fawns

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-41.jpg

Mine and Val's combined here:

DSCN5389.jpg

And in a few rare instances, they can get really fancy

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-89.

• Like 1

The Heaton Black Cherry. Ron named this one. They have a rich dark cherry red that goes deep and is transparent. The base is nice and clean white. The quality is superior to most of the red/white marbles Heaton made. These are much less common than the usual red/white ones. Little to no bleeding, no orange or brown. The construction is a common Heaton loop and tail just like the firecrackers and Red Roses and many others, including the clip on the blank side but these tend to be a little busier. Nice one to look at for a simple color combo. 

Untitled-design-14.jpg

Untitled-design-12.jpg
Untitled-design-13.jpg
DSCN5359.jpg

Val found a few stuck together and I found this flat one that must've missed the rollers or something. 

DSCN5373.jpg
DSCN5375.jpg
DSCN5374.jpg

• Like 2

AHh !! Fresh fruit and backstraps, will my hunger to see new marbles ever be quenched ?? For some reason metalic mibs always get my curiosity going. How, when, and why is this type of metalic surface there. An accident in my mind, not a production marble but enough of them to be noticed in nearly every type of vintage or antique marble produced. At any rate "Thanks for the new pix Chuck" keep em rollin :thup:

Chad G.

Rotten Robin. Same base as a Robin Egg, may or may not have the same white/cream, but also has brown. I named these when I was digging the deep hole towards the back of the property. I was finding Robin Eggs left and right and then one popped out with brown on it too. Then another, and another, and I was saying "I found a Robin egg with brown" and then "Another brown robin egg, like it's rotten" and "Another Rotten Robin" and then we would chuckle when someone said "Rotten Robin" and do the little bird song you hear in the song "Rockin' Robin". So the name stuck and that's what we now call them. Here are a couple to compare with. Some have a lot of the Robin Egg cream color, some have none. Some (the best examples) even have oxblood.

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-51.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-43.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

At first the sweet potato name got applied to a marble with this base and white ribbon, but then some had other colors with the white and then some had no white but had other colors. Since Ron and I and Stephen talked, it sounds like the agreed position of these is that they are all Sweet Potatoes, similar to how the different color tan based Ravenswoods are all Ravens, and then they are further categorized by color (Green Sweet Potato, blue, and so-on). That works for me. Like Stephen pointed out on the phone today, they are a lot like the Ravenswood Ravens line, some being almost mistakable for one. The difference being the base has more of an orange tint than the tan on Ravenswoods. These vary a lot in base and colors. Varying from pinkish to salmon to rich pumpkin and sweet potato colors. I'll post what I think fall into this category:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-92.
Untitled-design-8.jpg
Untitled-design-3.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-68.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-72.
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-55.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-3.j
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-13.jpg
DSCN2263.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Heaton Razzle Dazzle. Ron named this one, these were only found in a small spot, only a few known. I haven't found one in my buckets yet unfortunately. Loads of AV and a UV reactive base. Top shelf marble from Heaton. These are Ron's marbles, I took the photos at his house back in September.

And here is some of the AV Vitrolite used to make these marbles:

DSCN4799.jpg

DSCN4798.jpg

DSCN4796.jpg

DSCN4795.jpg

The Heaton Red Baron. This one is one of the first named types but like the Razzle Dazzle, it is very rare. At the time I took the photo of the group of 3, these were the only 3 known to us. I found one during my first Heaton Dig a couple years back and it was the only one known until I found 2 more in September 2020. Maybe more will turn up in time. They are very white base, whiter than the usual Heaton and more on par with CAC or Ravenswood whites. The red is ruby red transparent. The black looks black except in places if you can find where it thins enough, you can tell it's very very dark brown color.

DSCN5154.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-90.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-74.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-4.j

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I got so busy for a bit after I posted that last post that I completely forgot to come back and finish it up. Being self employed with 2 different ventures going at the same time gets hairy sometimes. Forgive me, but better late than never I guess. I don't have a fancy background to juice this one up (pun intended), but these were called blueberry grapes. A lot of these are in champion collections but Heaton made them, or at least some of them. There were many halves found at the loading dock where we know the night shift rolled hot barrels of marbles out at night and they cooled too quickly and were dumped. I will try to get pics of the last few named ones soon. 

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-73.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, cheese said:

Here's another. Val fell in love with these as soon as she dug one up. Purple is her color! When we gathered around the washing station at Ron's, this one got held up and Val blurted out "BLACKBERRY!!" and everyone knew that was it's new name. Here are some blackberries :D  They are dark purple translucent base, white ribbon. The purple goes lighter over the white in places. Very blackberry colored is right. 

DSCN4726.jpg
DSCN4656.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-56.

Heaton Blackberries!? are these them? Thank you

DSC_0040.JPG

On 1/16/2021 at 4:09 AM, cheese said:

The Heaton Red Baron. This one is one of the first named types but like the Razzle Dazzle, it is very rare. At the time I took the photo of the group of 3, these were the only 3 known to us. I found one during my first Heaton Dig a couple years back and it was the only one known until I found 2 more in September 2020. Maybe more will turn up in time. They are very white base, whiter than the usual Heaton and more on par with CAC or Ravenswood whites. The red is ruby red transparent. The black looks black except in places if you can find where it thins enough, you can tell it's very very dark brown color.

DSCN5154.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-90.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-74.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-4.j

These are Awsome 👌

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 11:09 PM, cheese said:

Well the Heaton digs are officially over now, and there are many to be cleaned still, but some of the nicer notable ones have gotten some attention and acquired names either during the digs or afterwards while cleaning and sorting. I'll kick this off with a few and update periodically, or others who know the new named types are also welcome (encouraged) to contribute. I'll start off with the Heaton Firecracker. It has the classic Heaton ear or circle and tail construction. It is built just like the Heaton Red Rose, just different colors. These also exhibit the clip of color on the back side, just like the Red Roses. The Firecracker has an opaque white base and transparent electric yellow and red ribbon. One of the few Heatons that exhibit the color yellow. All are 5/8" or close. 

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-73.jpg
DSCN4642.jpg
DSCN4643.jpg
DSCN4644.jpg

Omg I’ll have to take pics when I’m back but I bought a batch of oldies here in Ontario   I think one of these are in there. This site is the best guys. Thankyou for that 🥰🥰🥰

An old box I picked up locally, which is odd in itself. The mix is heavy on the Vitro I think. I’m thinking of taking a group shot. I’ve come across some interesting ones in it. Thankyou for the help. I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from this group.