Thanks for the input!

Next:

These Heatons always appealed to me. I was picking out handfuls every time we washed a bucket at Ron's house. I never could figure out a name for them. They are dark, smoky, mysterious, purple and grey and dark magic green/brown. Voodoo. That's it! Heaton Voodoo. 

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-98.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-96.

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-97.

Very nice, a good name Chuck, for an outstanding marble, classic Heaton ear shape swirls. I looked at it last night for a while. I think you and I were the only ones on the forum at the time !!   "Thanks for the bump man"

Chad G.

Just when I get started on Jabo ( long overdue ) I get pummeled by a load of Heatons, I wouldn't have it any other way. !!!

Oh yeah, good mornin Chuck !!! 

Yep, I was on late last night. I think of all the places needing to be dug and needing documentation, Heaton was probably the one needing it most. We had no idea. We thought Heaton only made 20 or so types and most of them were "blah". Now so many marbles that were in our Champions and Ravenswoods have provenance and others we didn't even know about are found. I found a lot on ebay that I determined were mostly Heatons and some of the named types were in it, so they have been out there. I know another guy who just bought a big lot at an estate sale and lo and behold, they are Heatons, many of the same ones we dug and a few that I haven't seen yet, so they are out there, we just have to make the connection to the maker. This is why I'm sharing so many Heaton photos. Some new collectors and even some old collectors are stating that Heaton is now their favorite swirl maker! Can you imagine? Little old Heaton that 2 years ago nobody cared about is now the favorite of some. They really did make a variety of excellent marbles. 

This type marble we looked over a bit and I looked at Ron and said, this marble makes me feel cold. He grinned and turned his notepad with potential names on it and was pointing at the name "Iceberg". So we all agreed that is the appropriate name for this one. I like it. Blue, white, and brown tracer. These are more common than ones like the Blue Denim but I'm not sure there are enough for all collectors. Maybe more will come out of existing collections. I bet 200 or so were found based on what I saw in our buckets and figuring how many other people got buckets. The Heaton Iceberg:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-202

DSCN5272.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-99.

Some very appropriate names, right on cue. some more beauties for the old Heaton folder. "Thanks for posting the pictures Chuck"

Chad G.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Yep, I was on late last night. I think of all the places needing to be dug and needing documentation, Heaton was probably the one needing it most. We had no idea. We thought Heaton only made 20 or so types and most of them were "blah". Now so many marbles that were in our Champions and Ravenswoods have provenance and others we didn't even know about are found. I found a lot on ebay that I determined were mostly Heatons and some of the named types were in it, so they have been out there. I know another guy who just bought a big lot at an estate sale and lo and behold, they are Heatons, many of the same ones we dug and a few that I haven't seen yet, so they are out there, we just have to make the connection to the maker. This is why I'm sharing so many Heaton photos. Some new collectors and even some old collectors are stating that Heaton is now their favorite swirl maker! Can you imagine? Little old Heaton that 2 years ago nobody cared about is now the favorite of some. They really did make a variety of excellent marbles. 

This type marble we looked over a bit and I looked at Ron and said, this marble makes me feel cold. He grinned and turned his notepad with potential names on it and was pointing at the name "Iceberg". So we all agreed that is the appropriate name for this one. I like it. Blue, white, and brown tracer. These are more common than ones like the Blue Denim but I'm not sure there are enough for all collectors. Maybe more will come out of existing collections. I bet 200 or so were found based on what I saw in our buckets and figuring how many other people got buckets. The Heaton Iceberg:

DSCN5272.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-99.

I'm really surprised they weren't more popular, But the limited use of their av. and cost at the time I'm sure played a big part in it. Some of these marbles more than likely never seen full production, either that or a very limited run.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heaton Fawn got it's name innocently enough. They showed up at every dig, there were a lot of them and around the loading dock especially. I believe it was Ron that said that the base glass color was Vitrolite and Vitrolite's name for that color was "fawn". So occasionally someone would say something like "Boy, I sure am finding a lot of those fawn colored ones" and so on until they were just referred to as "Fawns". So that's how they got named, it was just how things worked out over time. Although they are plentiful, finding a mint one has proven to be difficult. The purple fractured a lot, and this purple was also susceptible to glass sickness, so many have abalone or even a heavier striation to it that looks like golden metallic. Like golden hair. I've nicknamed those "Argonauts" because of Jason and the Golden Fleece, although that's not an official name. The purple is Wissmach glass, which probably explains the fractures. I dug a lot of Wissmach glass down from the loading dock, most of it in greens and this purple. Then you can also find these fawns with other colors in them, like bright blue, which would make it a Blue Fawn or grey with it would make it a Grey Fawn, etc... but they all have the purple in them. The Blue Fawns are striking and HTF. 

A typical Heaton Fawn 

Untitled-design-15.jpg

DSCN5376.jpg

DSCN5387.jpg

Here's one with the metallic look from being buried for so long

Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Presenta

Here are some Blue Fawns

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-41.jpg

Mine and Val's combined here:

DSCN5389.jpg

And in a few rare instances, they can get really fancy

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-89.

The Heaton Black Cherry. Ron named this one. They have a rich dark cherry red that goes deep and is transparent. The base is nice and clean white. The quality is superior to most of the red/white marbles Heaton made. These are much less common than the usual red/white ones. Little to no bleeding, no orange or brown. The construction is a common Heaton loop and tail just like the firecrackers and Red Roses and many others, including the clip on the blank side but these tend to be a little busier. Nice one to look at for a simple color combo. 

Untitled-design-14.jpg

Untitled-design-12.jpg
Untitled-design-13.jpg
DSCN5359.jpg

Val found a few stuck together and I found this flat one that must've missed the rollers or something. 

DSCN5373.jpg
DSCN5375.jpg
DSCN5374.jpg

AHh !! Fresh fruit and backstraps, will my hunger to see new marbles ever be quenched ?? For some reason metalic mibs always get my curiosity going. How, when, and why is this type of metalic surface there. An accident in my mind, not a production marble but enough of them to be noticed in nearly every type of vintage or antique marble produced. At any rate "Thanks for the new pix Chuck" keep em rollin :thup:

Chad G.

Rotten Robin. Same base as a Robin Egg, may or may not have the same white/cream, but also has brown. I named these when I was digging the deep hole towards the back of the property. I was finding Robin Eggs left and right and then one popped out with brown on it too. Then another, and another, and I was saying "I found a Robin egg with brown" and then "Another brown robin egg, like it's rotten" and "Another Rotten Robin" and then we would chuckle when someone said "Rotten Robin" and do the little bird song you hear in the song "Rockin' Robin". So the name stuck and that's what we now call them. Here are a couple to compare with. Some have a lot of the Robin Egg cream color, some have none. Some (the best examples) even have oxblood.

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-51.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-43.