19 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Here's the surprise pelt heads

catalog year 1928

I know it gives a description but of what marbles ?? you tell me what was in this box, or even better try and research it ?? The best in the bus are trying to figure this one out. I have a good guess, in fact the only pelts that match the description but I'll leave this quandary to you !! AS said it is still unknown what marbles were in this box, some think it was an advertisement ploy to boost sales because of the coming economic situation,  how about you ?? any feedback would be great.

1928.PNG

1928 1.PNG

These boxes were labeled with the marbles they originally contained - onyx - or slags as most collectors call them.

The bit about fusing metal and glass is not all spin.  I suppose metal oxides incorporated into glass for coloring can be considered "metal".

11 hours ago, hdesousa said:

These boxes were labeled with the marbles they originally contained - onyx - or slags as most collectors call them.

The bit about fusing metal and glass is not all spin.  I suppose metal oxides incorporated into glass for coloring can be considered "metal".

Yes I'm aware of what an onyx is, the original name for slags. The ad says "sparkling" colors and  "duplication" of a genuine  onyx. I have a few pelt lagoons and have seen many silver surfers, I believe this ad is speaking about these marbles. When where these produced ?? what packaging did they come in ?? Just a theory but I believe both questions are answered here in this ad. The spin theory is not mine but that of another, I was simply interjecting it to stimulate further conversation. Thank you for for your comments Hansel. I guess we'll all have to wait and see if any further provenance pops up on this matter. There will always be questions, to me that's part of what makes this hobby fun, the learning never stops, conversation and investigation until the marble community's effort exposes another link in the chain. Do you have any ideas on the 1931 Akro ad with the strange logos in the corners ?? I hadn't seen this ad until now?? as always any input is greatly appreciated, again "Thank you"

Chad G. 

wow ... what an effort on this chad. compiled and as you said .. safe here. passing this on is very important to so many. you ... ron .. al ... and many more contributing to our passion for the mighty mib ... :clap2:..... :clap2:........ thanks to all ... bill

1 hour ago, mibcapper said:

wow ... what an effort on this chad. compiled and as you said .. safe here. passing this on is very important to so many. you ... ron .. al ... and many more contributing to our passion for the mighty mib ... :clap2:..... :clap2:........ thanks to all ... bill

You're very, very welcome :character-smileys-238: Bill !!  Indeed my pleasure, I believe I've finally passed the popcorn test " maybe "

5 hours ago, Chad G. said:

You're very, very welcome :character-smileys-238: Bill !!  Indeed my pleasure, I believe I've finally passed the popcorn test " maybe "

lol .... i think you have for some time .... my bell don't ring like it used too  ... so again ... excellent effort ...... be well ... too all .... bill

box 010.jpg

DSC01090.JPG

DSC01264.JPG

DSC01079.JPG

DSC01081.JPG

Yes I know, a lot of digging I just wanted to get em posted Bruce, there here to stay now so have at er.  Your very welcome, my great pleasure.

Chad G.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

This is a nice bit of work, Chad - a very nice contribution to the forum.

I like the reference to "National Colors Marbles". I wonder if they had "stars" in them too - no mention I could find.

Provenance will come, this did, and I am patient. I kind of enjoy being clueless about some things, it keeps me humble. I'll find some more, I have no doubt, the permission is the hard part, lots of stuff I'd like to share but can't both out of respect and because of the pat. laws.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ric said:

This is a nice bit of work, Chad - a very nice contribution to the forum.

I like the reference to "National Colors Marbles". I wonder if they had "stars" in them too - no mention I could find.

Reading the box Ric I guess it could contain any myriad of things, confusing to say the least. Say's Onyx but the only onyx I ever seen sparkle is one with fractures all over it, personally I believe Av. the production dates line up perfectly with the miller type pelts in question. There is a reason why surfers, lagoons, etc. are a rare mib & there is no known packaging., I believe a transitional between the miller av. types and NLR, to much of a coincidence for me. Most of the time those boxes contained as labeled but there are cases of a mix of types contained in them, Just speculation again on my behalf.

19 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Reading the box Ric I guess it could contain any myriad of things, confusing to say the least. Say's Onyx but the only onyx I ever seen sparkle is one with fractures all over it, personally I believe Av. the production dates line up perfectly with the miller type pelts in question. There is a reason why surfers, lagoons, etc. are a rare mib & there is no known packaging., I believe a transitional between the miller av. types and NLR, to much of a coincidence for me. Most of the time those boxes contained as labeled but there are cases of a mix of types contained in them, Just speculation again on my behalf.

Hey Chad, I was referring to this ad:

1905.1.PNG

It seems they are talking about Peppermints - I was wondering about mica "stars" to go with the stripes.

At some point I am going to try to identify the earliest reference to American machine made glass marbles in this collection of ads.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Hey Chad, I was referring to this ad:

1905.1.PNG

It seems they are talking about Peppermints - I was wondering about mica "stars" to go with the stripes.

At some point I am going to try to identify the earliest reference to American machine made glass marbles in this collection of ads.

Whoop's !! Sorry bout that Ric !! Looking at the same page you where, the ad next to the bottom it says "glass spangles" fancy designs in colored threads, large as a hens egg ?? got any ideas, are these latticinio with colored threads or what ??

image.png.9ebcf3fcff375c8212ab65686d73a5eb.png

The price seems to be more in the pink salesman's catalog for the same year?? must be the profit for the salesman ??

image.png.43c16f3b3adb7f7734ec6901ff96aa39.png

Did some more diggin on the Akro trademark in the 1931 mag. add. In March 23 1911, the Akro Agate Co. applied for the Akro Agate Trademark. On Aug 22, 1911 it was registered with the United States Government. Akro was in operation from 1910 thru 1951. just a little Akro history, I realize It still doesn't explain the 1931 ad, I'm still workin on that one, found this info on the trademark on the way.

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

The Akro trademark and the Akro name were sold 3-4 years ago.  The new owners are selling new marbles in new boxes with the Akro name and trademark. 

I was trying to find out why the crow doesn't appear in the 1931 magazine ad when they already had went through all the trouble to get the crow trademark in 1911 ??  Seems like that would have been a main selling point, middle of the great depression and Akro had already built a good name as far as mibs went ?? just wondering why the different trademark when they went to all that trouble to get the crow in the first place if they weren't going to make sure they used it, especially in a sales ad ?? just kind of puzzling to me !! Yes  I've seen the new Akro red boxes and marbles they're putting in them. Where are they getting the marbles to fill the boxes??  not making them themselves, the marbles look foreign made to me ?? 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:25 AM, Chad G. said:

Did some more diggin on the Akro trademark in the 1931 mag. add. In March 23 1911, the Akro Agate Co. applied for the Akro Agate Trademark. On Aug 22, 1911 it was registered with the United States Government. Akro was in operation from 1910 thru 1951. just a little Akro history, I realize It still doesn't explain the 1931 ad, I'm still workin on that one, found this info on the trademark on the way.

image.thumb.png.3cfa0d8dbda3eb3a3122dc989a4bc74d.png

3 hours ago, hdesousa said:

image.thumb.png.3cfa0d8dbda3eb3a3122dc989a4bc74d.png

Yes Hansel, I found the 1911 date and exact day applied for and the day the US govt. granted Akro rights to the trademark from the National marble Museum, Museum of American Glass in West Virginias archives, That's where I read the patented info I couldn't copy or post. Still confusing why they wouldn't insist on stamping that 1931 logo with their trademarked crow on the ad?? Well established and reputable,  highly recognizable, especially when everyone was scraping for change during the depression. Well I'm learning alot of history and provenance along the way, always had a general idea but now nailed it down to the day. "Thanks for the post Hansel" Great piece of provenance you have there !! Good luck on the ad, I'm still digging also, hopefully one of us, or someone will come up with some form of answer.

2 hours ago, hdesousa said:

Akro was incorporated in 1914.

Yes,  7 posts back I had already included the application for and date of actual registration of the trademark along with the from & to years of operation, I neglected to post the 1914 incorporation date, excuse. 

• 1 month later...