Wondering about these for a long time

Sonoran Beaver

I thought WV swirls. Alley on the left and maybe the right ?  I agree the white does not look like the white on slags. The left sure looks like the very twisted pushed together swirl pattern on lots of Alleys. Like slags, most Alleys also have more white. But he made the green swirls without as much white.  I just do not have pictures of them. Most slags have a easily seen cut line. The white color on most slags is not stretched and thin like the second marble above. I don't think I have seen many slags with the wadded up pattern like on the left marble above Maybe slags, maybe swirls ????  Some traits for me with most slags are nice bright white usually wide, lots of it, cut lines and nice smooth slow twist or swirl. Either a slow 9 or almost cork pattern twist or more straight ribbons cut to cut.  Slag versus swirl can be tough at times. 

DSC02906.JPG

DSC02907.JPG

Maybe the light bulb also playing into it, there is excessive wading and the white isn't as bright as it should be which I attributed to the "lighting" hard for me to judge also Ron, but yes could be swirls. When I look and have to second guess it does leave some question as to the I.D. 

Looks like total different marbles.  All we have is the pictures to go by. If the picture does not actually look like the marble, the identification cannot be accurate.  They are not slags. Probably not Alley. Maybe Champion. 

Yes, wow !! a whole new "light" X 2 not slags. "Thanks for the new pics" now closer to the true Identity, a lot less guessing, personally I never use a flash on marbles or glass, to much refraction and reflection, it doesn't bode well with my pictures. I always use at least a 5000 k  40-60 watt, eq. (13w) actual bulb to come as close to natural blue sunlight as possible and cut out all the yellows from a regular bulb or flash. I learned all my info between the two forums, fantastic tutorials. I take my pics then "review them before submission" to be sure I'm giving an accurate account of the natural visual appearance. 95% of making an accurate I.D. is in the photos, the other 5 % is the size and verbal description.  I had the feeling it was a flash, "appreciate the extra effort", it certainly paid off in this case, quite the difference, agreed Ron it doesn't even look like the same 2 mibs. The bulbs will pay for themselves many times over, I only pay 5-8 $$ a bulb from any hardware or regular store like Walmart, these bulbs cast a blue spectrum like natural sunlight instead of the yellow as in a regular household bulb, I had to do a little experimentation with them and choosing a "neutral" light or dark background color depending on the color and or transparency of the glass in the mib. Review of my pics is a personal must, alot of the time I think I've taken a killer pic, the upon review "not so good" but improving all the time. Many thanks to all the people who took the time to leave the tutorials and information, we are after all here to help one another. Good luck thanks for the submissions, have fun and stay safe.

Chad G.

Oh man, thanks so much for the tips and coaching on this.  I have been floundering with marble ID's for years and it is so nice to talk to some folks that know what they are doing and are willing to coach me up!  I'll pick up some bulbs right away.  It's funny because I was going to a lot of trouble trying show the pattern in these marbles (really hard to see in these) because I thought it would be more useful for ID when in fact it is the "natural visual appearance" that counts.  Again,  thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

All the best!

"You're welcome" We are all here to help & inform each other, that's what this forum is for to me, sharing & learning. "Please" watch a couple tutorials on pics first, don't go on my word alone, remember I learned it all here. There are some excellent ones right here as well as links to photography sites that will tell you tell exactly what bulbs to buy, backgrounds, colors, etc... I think mine are  I chucked the boxes so I'm not sure, just the wattage. You'll find out which one works best with your camera. A little experimentation & attention to detail will take you a long ways, my first pics here looked like they were taken in a snow storm on a foggy day. "Good luck & have fun doing it" :thup:

Chad G. :party-243:

I think my friend gets his from Amazon, I buy mine at Walmart, they work fine for me, the research will really pay off, you will see the difference in your pics immediately, a link to some bulbs, these are a little spendy and I try to get by on the cheap. So not saying to buy them here just a place for you to go and get some kind of idea what people use, personally I think watching a couple tutorials will put you "light" years ahead.

LINK https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Spectrum-Light-Bulb-Photography/dp/B0089Q1FWE