Odd marble board

schmoozer

27 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

Found the perfect spot! Just need to figure which mibs... maybe 1 section each for AKRO, Peltier, Alley, and Vitro? Don’t have enough CACs.

or maybe all slags?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gonna look good no matter what you put in it  Brad :thup:

Nice board, Brad. I think it's called Aggravation. We had one when I was a kid, but I have no recall of how it's played. Nice drawers too!

After looking at the game a while longer, it's sort of coming back to me. I think your 4 home color marbles are stored at the base of end of the arms (1-4 players). You roll a dice to get a 1 or a 6 to get out to the center start place on the track. You roll the die - go around the board, if you land on someone else's mib they go back home. your home is the center column of holes above your base after you've gone all the way around. It's like Sorry with marbles.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

Nice board, Brad. I think it's called Aggravation. We had one when I was a kid, but I have no recall of how it's played. Nice drawers too!

Thanks Ric, will chase that down.

the type case has a roll down locking front. I have never found out what it was specifically designed for, by Hamilton.

I used to play that every time we went to my grandmothers, I didn't recognize it because hers was on a piece of square plywood, but yes, you had to roll a pair of sixes or aces to get out of home then try to make it around the board to home without another players mib landing on yours, if they did it was back home you went. My whole family used to play it when I was a kid. Boy that sure brings back the memories. "Thanks again Brad"

I think we only used one die, which means you'd get your marbles out of start in about one of three rolls (statistically) but it would take longer to get around the board. With two die, and pairs, you'd only get out of start in around one in eighteen rolls. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think we only used one die, which means you'd get your marbles out of start in about one of three rolls (statistically) but it would take longer to get around the board. With two die, and pairs, you'd only get out of start in around one in eighteen rolls. 🙂

I Can't really remember that well Ric, might have been one die, either way the same game, I think gramma even had an old aggravation  box ??

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Thanks Chad. I finally figured  it out  lol

Nice job man Tommy :thup: Don't quite know how I got two answers in one box ?? oh well ??

Brad,

I found a contemp aggravation game on Ebay, the boards a little different  than yours but played the same way, yes one die, it's been a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-AGGRAVATION-Board-Game-Vintage-Style-Marble-Race-2-6-PLAYERS-NEW/303028221906

image.png.9d64518da972af1ba48dce439056ef25.png

image.png.16a1f2d6d6a92c7b8e45d63c6d470907.png

image.png.2dc643029ad1795f780acc63b706a865.png

This board from Amazon is exactly like the one Grandma has, except hers is plywood.

image.thumb.png.15aacf3177e136cde8c4a41eff58cb0d.png

The one we had was a lot like Brads. It was made with two hardwood boards with half-deep cuts on each so they nested together to make the cross. My Uncle Buck (RIP) made it for us. He was a pretty odd character but an awesome guy - one of seventeen kids, along with my Mom. He was pulled out of the water after his ship was hit in the attack on Pearl Harbor and he suffered "shell shock" (PTSD these days) from the experience. He was a Master woodworker - always in his shop, I am sure it was cathartic. The bird house he made for my wife and I 42 years ago is still out in our front yard - a gift he gave to every one of his many (>80) nieces and nephews when they married.

Please forgive the diversion. Uncle Buck was my favorite when I was a kid. I still think about him often, and he deserves the tribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you figure out which mibs to put in yours yet Brad ?? Or like me, changing them around every couple days, or was that hours ??

Chad G.