Company names versus collector names

Steph

I was just looking at a rich red Peltier Rainbo on facebook and thinking I might tell the collector that it was a Pelt Bloodie.

But then I remembered

(a) that some collectors can be quite strict about which marbles qualify for the Bloodie label, including if I recall correctly, that the base be opalescent, and

(b) that I hardly ever see anyone use the name at all, so maybe the name has completely gone out of fashion for any marble,

so I passed on adding my comment.

But for what it's worth, I _THINK_ Peltier wasn't (always) picky about which Rainbos with red ribbons and white bases went into their Bloodies boxes.   The Bloodies lasted as a Pelt option for decades and I'm pretty sure that over the years the consistency of the base glass varied considerably.   Am I wrong?

For the second case, the Master Cloudy versus the Master Opaque.  

Master's Cloudy was a translucent single-color marble.    Master's two-color translucent marbles were called Meteors.   At some point collectors started calling the single color translucents  "Opaques" and the Cloudy name was switched over to the Meteor.  

Here is a Master sample box posted by Joanne Singleton.  

65zK4IM.jpg

The Master Cloudy is like the Akro Ace in that it can be confusing to use in an identification because it's both a company name and a collector name ... but the company used it for a different type of marble than what collectors tend to use it for.    That state of affairs helps make my ID answers very wordy, as if I needed any encouragement in that department!  

I lean toward just using the company names for stuff and avoiding collector names where possible. I realize that it is not possible most times because of the many names that are widely accepted that have come down from kids and early collectors. Cub scout for example; some say that term only applies to blue and yellow Pelts, some say only blue and yellow MKs. actually the term should apply to neither, a cub scout uniform is dark blue, nearly navy with gold. Then there are the company names that are troublesome, like "cornelian" or my favorite "cerise".  One look at the crayon box will tell you that cerise is a kind of hot pink, close to fuchsia, but the marbles sold with the cerise name are deep red.  I guess this is a round about way of saying; don't add to the noise. My prime recent example is the attempt to give every color combo of Heaton swirl a separate name. While I'm sure it's fun, I don't think that it is helpful now and could be confusing or even start arguments in the future. Try to stick with existing terms, try to fit mibs into existing terms, and add new terms sparingly.

I just re-read this rambling screed and nearly deleted it, but typing is a chore for me and maybe there is something here to get someone wound up, so I'll post it. Thanks

Bruce

:D 

Many people have gotten wound up over names, for sure.

When I started collecting, the "elders" that I encountered were much more conservative about naming.   They had participated in the naming of a few marbles, such as the Vitro Superior, but they weren't in a hurry to name many more.  Also, frustration was occasionally expressed at how some marble name they had chosen had grown to cover a lot of other marbles that they didn't mean to have covered.  

In the past  ten years though, the naming of marbles has certainly gained popularity, so I've had a lot of time to come around to it.  I'm okay with it now.  I think it probably helps over all -- helps make marbles more identifiable, more likely to stick in the brain.   It's not sticking in MY brain very well, but maybe one day.