Marble Id

melanie

This is the second jar of marbles. There are two in there, that I really can't seem to find anything that looks like them. Without light they look like silver ball bearings but under the light they are blue and green. They're in the middle of the picture.

Theres a few on this lot that I am keeping for myself. I can't wait for flea market season. Hehe

MElanie

I think I know what those are. I can't exactly tell you who made them (probably Vacor), but I do know that that type of marble is fairly common. They should be just simple clearie marbles that have a very oily sheen to them. (I called them oilys when I played with them on the playground.) They don't have any real value to collectors (I don't think), because I think you can still buy them at Toys R Us.

Josh

I don't know what is Josh talking about, but you got some vintage mixed marbles there. The Popeye looks a little larger than the rest of the group, which is nice. I can see some nice old Vitros there, some Peltier Rainbos, and some Akros. Nice group.

Sami

I talking about the marbles she said appeared to be ball bearings from a distance! I can actually recognize those. They're right in the middle. The scanner made them look like plain clearies.

Josh

I think those were an attempt to look like Carnival glass... I've seen 'em in green and gold/amber.... I wanna say they may have been made in blue and red too, but I honestly can't remember seeing them...

They've been around quite a while (10 - 15 years???) but I don't think there's a huge demand for them...

Oh Duh.... LOL Lizzy!!! I saw the green one, then for some reason, my eye caught the other green one a couple marbles over to the right.... I totally missed the blue one right next to it!!!

I wasn't sure if they were still making them or not.... I was trying to come up with a time line for when I first saw them... It was quite a while ago (And, I think I bought 5 at a buck a piece, cuz I thought they might have been a Carnival glass premium.... Duhhhh again!!! LOL)

Guest browse4antiques

Melanie,

Please note the purple and yellow patch marble on the left of your pic, just below the middle. I am very confident that it is one of those rare opaque patch marbles that appear to have been made by the same company that made the color-base transitional marbles. Not much is known about them, and I don't imagine most collectors even know about them, but I would suggest you set it aside. ... Roger

melanie, you've got a great mix of relatively older marbles. they're not super valuable in the condition they're in, but some are keepers for sure. you might want to consider just keeping all of those, and using them to learn the basics on some of the vintage makers. really - most of us started out learning by buying a bunch of odd lots on ebay that turned out to be mostly new. you're already way ahead of the game with that starter batch! people will tell you the best way to learn is to go to a show, but i think sorting and studying lots like this is just as good - if not a better way to really absorb the subtleties.

roger - good eye on that purple and yellow!!

The two I think are agates, I ran my fingernail all around them and didn't feel any flea bites. I haven't checked them with a loop though. I have a little dish here with marbles I'm going to keep. Some of them aren't in great shape, but they're pretty and I like them.

Some of them are in fairly good shape if someone is interested. We'll see. But I have probably a dozen or more that I'm keeping I don't care what he says.

I'm putting my foot down.

Guest browse4antiques

Here's a pic of the whole family of those patches. The transparent ones are not as difficult to find as the opaque ones (on the bottom). The red/white has its colors reversed from the other transparents. The opaques are interesting because the glass is exactly the same glass as is found on the color-base crease-pontil transitionals. And the colors used for the transparents are the same colors used for transparent crease pontils. Also, of course, the crease pontils have a red on white, reversed from the others which are white on transparent. I don't know who made them, but I am really sure they are all from the same maker. Below there is a 4-view pic of one of the opaque ones. ... Roger

all.jpg

py.jpg

Hey Roger, could you add the thumbnails for those pictures?? I'll probably try to save that info (whenever I get a chance to put some time into doing archives) and I'd love to have those pictures uploaded to the boards space (leave the big ones, just add the thumbs!! Thanks!!! )

Guest browse4antiques

Here are the thumbnails. (1) all of them - but since the pic I've found a green/yellow opaque one too. (2) a purple/yellow (11/16"). (3) 4 opaque ones. (4) blue/yellow opaque alongside a blue/yellow opaque crease transitional. (5) yellow/purple opaque alongside a yellow/purple crease transitional. (6) opaque ones with MK for color comparison. ,,, Roger

post-112-1138841350_thumb.jpg post-112-1138841397_thumb.jpg post-112-1138841449_thumb.jpg post-112-1138841481_thumb.jpg post-112-1138841506_thumb.jpg post-112-1138841536_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have added an avatar. I have no clue what this marble is but I was wondering if it is another one I should hang on to.

Also I ask earlier in this post I did indeed have Christensen Agate Slags.

Heres another picture but it's better. I just am checking to see how I'm doing.

post-340-1138842360_thumb.jpg

I can't get a good picture of it. But its got the coloring. I tried taking a picture of it with my digital camera but it just comes out looking black and I tried on my scanner too. I have two of them, one is a little larger than the other.

I have a little heart dish sitting here that as I go through the jar I am picking out what I like and I'm keeping. I didn't go through the jar I listed on ebay and I can't now. That's my own fault, but the other two will be looked at carefully. Once I get my "beginners kit" together I'll scan it and put it on and you guys can tell me if I made some half decent choices.

Melanie