Left Handed Hand Mades

There are German Hand Mades out there that where made by Left Handed marble makers. They worked on the other side of the Glory Hole. If you have any I'd be interested in buying or trading for one. Check the spin on your pontils and see if you have one that's "Not Like The Others".

10 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

You're checking right know aren't you Chad ?

Nah !! I have a few, but just patient to wait on a good one, every time I get to much into a hurry I get stupid & end up with something I didn't want. Before a divorce I went through in 09 I had some 2" & better monster lefty's, ended up having to sell them along with 99% of everything else. You don't see killers like that anymore & when you do they don't come cheap. I've seen a few on "Feebay" in the last year that the seller didn't even notice, either that or they just didn't know ??

You will, last lefty I had that big was a spotted onionskin sold in 09, I got $900.00 pretty good for back then, I doubled my money, wish I could say the same for the rest that went down the river.

It’s my understanding that after WW1 the Germans made what are now know as European Hand-Mades. More colorful ribbons is one example. It was more of a marketing scheme to gain interest in selling marbles in Europe. So comes the name European German Hand-Mades. Anyone who can shed more light on this time line would be great. They could be post WWII. FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

The Germans made the more colorful handmades between 1880 & 1910, Mostly for the blossoming English gameboard market during the mid to late Victorian era. One explanation for the smaller sizes & the two unfinished pontils (the rough unfinished pontils don't roll very well) unlike most of those made between 1850 & 1880 of which most had one faceted & one melted pigtail, they were trying to get them as round as they could as fast as they could.. This of course doesn't always apply as there are always exceptions to every rule. I use this to date most of my handmades, once you've seen thousands of them you can almost tell in most cases just by looking at the glass & the colors they used when it was made, a reason I like Joseph coats so much, the bright colors & rarity of any of them above 1". Also I have many with av. nothing like I used to have as they are getting almost impossible to attain anymore, and when I do find them the cost is outrageous. WW ll was 1939 - 1945 I don't think any handmades were being made then ??

image.png.a1d9e7fad131466f42dc221673e9c77a.png

image.png.05b84c63d1c8ddc62c532784b9bdd93c.png

OK ! I’ll be sorting my hand-mades and will try to follow the time lines and figure out some of the dates they were made in. Thanks Chad for posting that info. I don’t have a lot but sorting them will be a good time to break out the loupe.

1 hour ago, Fire1981 said:

OK ! I’ll be sorting my hand-mades and will try to follow the time lines and figure out some of the dates they were made in. Thanks Chad for posting that info. I don’t have a lot but sorting them will be a good time to break out the loupe.

I had to research it to & believe me it wasn't overnight. Some speculation, "yes" wish we could all learn by osmosis but they say that's impossible, so here we are "In it for the long haul"