An Unseamly Question....or Two....

m!b$

What is the definition of a "seam"? Does it differ with different manufacturers?

For each of these Pelts, do the pictures show the seams, and how many seams on each marble?

Does the red/green/white have one seam, or two seams that are very close together?

Does the red/orange/blue/white marble (four photos) have a seam that goes all around the marble?

post-279-1222032173_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222032322_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222032316_thumb.jpg

post-279-1222032311_thumb.jpg

I see 2 seams on every marble.

The first one is the only one I have doubts about.

The first pic.....pic on the left : At 11:00 there is

a sharp "cut" that is at the end of the WHITE SWIRL....

and just above that the is a small patch of RED.

I'm not sure if the White Swirl just "dives" into the

marble..........or STOPS.......... :unsure:

RAR..................... B)

OH...................YES............all the Factories seams are different.

This is going to be a long thread...........maybe.

Seams and glass color are probably the 2 main elements

when it comes down to identifying marbles. ( I think ) :blink:

I'm gonna let someone else take it from here...........!

Not that I don't want to tell you......I'm just a$$ backwards

and am getting ready to go to bed...........5:28 a.m.

RAR............... B)

in the same way that a handmade marble has pontils from where the marble was cut from the cane, machine made marbles have "seams" or cutlines (or "sheer marks") from where the "globs" were cut from the glass stream.

if you imagine toothpaste coming out of a tube, and that you had scissors snipping off bits as it came out, you can imagine the two parts where the "seams" would be.

people use seams to identify marbles, but they're not constant so they're not super reliable. they should only be used as a clue.

some companies' sheers helped to form the design on the marbles. the marbles you show with the seams close together are one possible example, although i don't know that for sure. another possible example is on the multicolor rainbos with the spiral design - my belief is that the spiral is from a cut with a twist.

to answer your questions, i see two cut lines on each of your marbles, with i think two that are close together, and none that go "all the way around".

~chris

If marbles are cut from a glass stream into globs, using the toothpaste analogy, wouldn't they all have two seams except for the first and the last glob? Are the MCS Pelts the first and last "globs" then? (They have only one seam, or none, right?)

How can a marble have no seams, unless it is reworked somehow not to have a seam?

Here are four more Pelts. I'm not sure if these show seams or not. Pelts seam :D to be the hardest to identify seams on, for me, at least.

post-279-1222032421_thumb.jpg

If marbles are cut from a glass stream into globs, using the toothpaste analogy, wouldn't they all have two seams except for the first and the last glob?

possibly.......they also might have started a run and adjusted colors, and then tossed the first bunch that weren't quite up to standard (now we must switch to a pancake analogy, whereby one will sometimes toss the first batch of pancakes that don't quite turn out until the griddle gets 'just right' ;) ) also, regarding the end of a run, they often just added colors to the tanks to switch to a different color scheme, so really there might not be a "last marble". or if there is, good luck finding it!

Are the MCS Pelts the first and last "globs" then? (They have only one seam, or none, right?)

some are of that thinking. i'm not one. remember, the S in MCS stands for "swirl". peltier had a "swirl" feeder that deliberately made squiggly-patterned marbles. if you don't see a "seam", it could very well just be blended into the "pattern", in the same way slags don't show "seams".

How can a marble have no seams, unless it is reworked somehow not to have a seam?

good question. i'm thinking one reason might be because it shows up in the pattern, and we only imagine we see a 'seam', but really we're seeing a suggestion of a seam. think of peltier bananas. many will show a curved cutline, but, just as often there's no visible seam.

Here are four more Pelts. I'm not sure if these show seams or not. Pelts seam :D to be the hardest to identify seams on, for me, at least.

i'm seeing cutlines on all of those. look for where the colors are interrupted abruptly.

The size of the stream is one of the determining factors on the size of the seam. Long Thin little streams(very hot glass)for wirepulls,flames and most swirls. Therefor nondistinct cutoffs.(the flap(LOL)******* Short wide streams for most others= Noticable cutoffs(seams) ***Slags mixed in the pot and were made with many sized streams . Very generalized and No diagrams but this should help. (LOL) Peace,Galen**** Look at corks A multitwist(thinner stream) rarely shows its cutoffs.(seams) While the barely twist(Patchy types) have noticable cutoffs(seams). Not exactly the same but a fair analogy.