I know Akro but does It have a proper name ? Lol

Jiminohio

Tricky.  I'm seeing a little bit of clear in the first one.  But probably not enough to consider it a Popeye.

The texture of the white is also puzzling me.  It doesn't look like I expect in a Popeye, but doesn't necessarily look like what I expect in a Tri-Color Agate. 

The second is also a bit tricky.  The base looks like it might be a very dark transparent, so maybe Akro sold it as an Onyx.  

The first one is not a Popeye. The texture of the white looks like damage. The marble has significant damage all over.  A Popeye requires a clear base(not translucent)with wispy white and two or more other colors. They can be a corkscrew or patch style marble.   

The second one is maybe a dark brown base with a white corkscrew ribbon. It could also be a dark purple base, with the white over top of the purple making it look brown ?  Also significant damage all over. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jiminohio said:

So you need 3 colors to be a Popeye?  Would that be a prize name if only 2 colors?

White does count as a color with Akros.   You definitely have a three-color marble.   

Akro might have sold it as a Tri-Color Agate.   I just can't be sure.   

kFrUspR.jpg

j8SHG72.jpg

^^  See, they're counting white as a color.

Popeye is the collector's name for what Akro called a Tri-Onyx Agate.   The basic Akro Onyx is a white cork in a transparent base.  (The base could be colored or clear.)   Their Tri-Onyx Agate was two non-white colors plus white filaments in a clear base.    You don't have the filamented white in a clear base.  That's why no Popeye here.

• Like 1
  • Award 2

8 hours ago, Steph said:

White does count as a color with Akros.   You definitely have a three-color marble.   

Akro might have sold it as a Tri-Color Agate.   I just can't be sure.   

kFrUspR.jpg

j8SHG72.jpg

^^  See, they're counting white as a color.

Popeye is the collector's name for what Akro called a Tri-Onyx Agate.   The basic Akro Onyx is a white cork in a transparent base.  (The base could be colored or clear.)   Their Tri-Onyx Agate was two non-white colors plus white filaments in a clear base.    You don't have the filamented white in a clear base.  That's why no Popeye here.

Thanks for posting the provenance Steph !! Great info !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...