Let's see your Master mibs 😲

Tommy

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

Alley never boxed any of his marbles or put his name on any package.  Not many box sets with Alley marbles. The small box with three marbles which says Marbles and opposite side Allies. Different Allies and Alley, Allies means marbles.  That is the one Ric is talking about.

There is another box set with Alley marbles. It is larger and holds 20 or 25 one inch and larger Alley white base swirls. It is marked Big Shot Marbles. It is rare, I know of two.  

So who made the box and were there not alleys in them because they def look like alley swirls and the box is def vintage.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:33 AM, PittsburghMarbles said:

So who made the box and were there not alleys in them because they def look like alley swirls and the box is def vintage.

Pretty sure the jobber box was contracted and sold by Pressman, and many (not sure about all) of the boxes had Alley marbles in them. Pressman used quite a bit of Alley glass, Chiquita Kids Dinnerware, Pastry Sets, Tidledy WInks games, etc., all marketed and sold by Pressman.

As I said there are not many box sets which contain Alley marbles. I do know of two, the small red box Allies with three marbles. The other one in the larger box with big marbles most are all one inch or larger Alley swirls, which it is marked Big Shot.  Below is the small red box Allies with three marbles. Allies is a nick name for marbles. Lawrence E. Alley is Alley, not Allies. Yes if original 99% will contain three Alley swirl marbles. That does not mean L.E. Alley company packaged them. I do not know who the box maker or printer was. I do not know who the jobber was that filled and sold the boxes originally. It could have been Jack Pressman, Berry Pink or several others. Both of those jobbers had close connections with L.E. Alley.  I am sure that Lawrence Alley's company never filled or sold these box sets. Two of his grandsons have told me that their grandfather never put his name on or with any of his marbles. Lawrence did not think he was anything special to spend money on having his name or company name on a package of kids marbles. There has never been any part of these boxes ever found at any Alley site and the Alley family has none and know nothing about them. Lawrence did put his name on some #2 yellow lead pencils. But not on any bag header or box of marbles. 

DSC05051.JPG.8ad20329c49f2178664497ffb15a7ae2.JPGDSC05052.JPG.9f18a39a7e099ddda310c0b114897ce9.JPGDSC05053.JPG.f9261678b7cd99adb38014ab442c2143.JPG1517452643_DSC05054(1).JPG.516ddd7894849f2810da527e2d3ea28b.JPGIDSC05055.JPG.45b74f8bc4aae4951e0cf9fc361eef12.JPG

If someone ever finds a box set or bag of marbles with Alley or Lawrence Alley or L.E. Alley or Alley Agate that contains Alley marbles. Please let me know.  

This small three marble red box has caused confusion has being from L.E. Alley every since I have been with marbles 25-28 years. You may even see it in a book as a Alley package. But no marble book is 100% correct. For may different reasons. 

Someone had about 30 or 50 of these for sale on Ebay a couple months ago. You can find one or two for sale at almost every marble show. 

Just my opinions, research and some help to do away with old myths, assumptions and beliefs.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wvrons said:

I do not know who the box maker or printer was. I do not know who the jobber was that filled and sold the boxes originally. It could have been Jack Pressman . . .

Is there really any reason to believe the tiny "J.P. Co." on the box (below right of "Marbles") does not stand for Jack Pressman Co.? You may need a good magnifier to see it, but it is there. lol

Here's the thing, Ron, and it is entirely obvious to me. You have already forgotten more about marbles than most people will ever know. I know this because you're the one who made the Pressman connection and pointed the J.P. Co. mark out to me many years ago. Apparently, things are working exactly as you intended.

🙂

• Award 1

You are correct, I forgot about the JP.  That is probably going to get worse, LOL.  Jack Pressman is the person who finally got Alley in the black with marbles money. When Alley was at the Pennsboro WV location he had cardboard in the bottom of his shoes to cover the holes. For several months he could not make the payroll. The employee's all stayed working for him with no pay. They had enough faith to stay working. Then the Chinese checker craze hit and Alley paid all the back pay with extra. Then he had to expand and moved to the St.Marys location. Jack Pressman and Berry Pink were long time friends and business partners with Alley since he started into marbles and until he died.  Alley was partners with Pink and Rosenthal while they were all together at Sistersville WV. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wvrons said:

That is probably going to get worse, LOL.

Ron, you have no idea how many times this has happened to me. It's what happens when you've been teaching for so long.

🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, marboman said:

Can't stop taking pictures of these Master marbles :)

054.JPG

055.JPG

064.JPG

059.JPG

061.JPG

069.JPG

077.JPG

078.JPG

You're on a run, better bust em out before winter sets in .... Oop !! to late    image.png.46b32b76bcaaa923611e045a9f93692d.png Hey !! I just noticed, you live in Sparks !! I have a couple Native American friends that live in sparks, obviously sunny there right now, the sun here is blotted out by smoke from all the forest fires at the moment. I'm kinda enjoying the lower temps myself, been a "long Hot" (record breaker) summer so far here !! I enjoyed the 4 separate seasons as a kid, not one long hot one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...